This Creamy Sweet Potato Rosemary Soup is total comfort food. It is easy to make and really addictive!
I love everything sweet potato. I usually have some stocked up.
One thing that I love about sweet potatoes is that they are said to decrease inflammation. Whereas other potatoes are part of the nightshade family, which are said to cause inflammation.
For this recipe I have used light colored sweet potatoes as well as orange varieties. The light colored sweet potato has a milder flavor than the orange ones.
You could use either one. When I updated this recipe I used one of the orange varieties since they seem to be more popular.
- Soak cashews to soften them. In a pan, sauté onions in olive oil. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.....
- Add chopped and peeled sweet potato, broth, salt and pepper, and a rosemary stem. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Let soup cool. Pull out rosemary stem. Blend soup with cashews and coconut yogurt if using.
This soup will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I Freeze It?
- Make sure to let the soup cool completely before placing in a freezer bag or air tight container.
- Liquids expand as they freeze, so don't fill containers or bags all the way full. For freezer safe containers, leave about an inch of space from the top. For freezer bags, fill about ¾ the way full. Let out as much air as you can, and lay flat in freezer.
- Don't forget to label your bag or container with the date, or if you prefer, the date it should be eaten by. You can keep soup in the freezer 4-6 months, but flavors in the freezer start to fade around 2 months.
- When you're ready to eat, let the soup thaw overnight in the fridge, then heat in a saucepan or microwave.
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
This creamy vegan soup is an easy weeknight meal.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
This recipe was originally published onApril 23, 2015. I've added new photos and more text.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Creamy Sweet Potato Rosemary Soup
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium sweet potato 3 cups chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (6") long rosemary stem
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- Soak cashews in water for about an hour to soften them up, then drain.
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add sweet potato, salt and pepper, broth, and rosemary stem. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes. The rosemary will be removed so don't pull the leaves off the stem.
- Let the soup cool, then remove rosemary stem.
- Mix sweet potato mixture, cashews, and unsweetened plain coconut yogurt in a blender until smooth. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply