This sweet and spicy Creamy Corn Soup with Jalapeño is simple to make with many ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
This Creamy Corn Soup with Jalapeño is rich and creamy. Sweet and spicy is my favorite flavor combination. Here, you get sweetness from the corn, spiciness from the jalapeño, and richness from the coconut milk.
To balance out this soup, I serve it with key limes. The lime juice adds a brightness and acidity that cuts through the richness of the coconut milk.
If you cannot find key limes, other limes will work too. I happen to love key limes because they are a bit sweeter than other varieties, and they are prevalent here in Tucson.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Corn: I used fresh corn because it was available when I made this recipe. You could also use frozen.
- Onion: For a sweet pungent flavor.
- Olive oil: To cook the onion in. Adds flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Jalapeño pepper: For some spice. If you want less spice, leave out the seeds and ribs. For even more spice, use a serrano pepper.
- Vegetable broth: I used low sodium vegetable broth because I like to control the amount of sodium, but you could use regular vegetable broth. Either will add flavor.
- Coconut milk: I used full fat coconut milk for its rich creamy flavor. I tried this recipe first with light coconut milk and it just didn't add the richness I wanted.
- Salt and pepper: Adds flavor and enhances flavors.
- Key lime juice: Cuts through the richness of the soup. Adds a bright acidic flavor. I used key lime juice because I love the taste, but you could use whatever variety of limes you want.
- Cilantro: For garnish and a fresh note. You could leave it out or use parsley, green onions, or chives.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add onions to the pot and cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and jalapeño. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add corn and cook until tender.
- In a high speed blender blend corn mixture with vegetable broth.
- Pour back into the stock pot. Add coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook on medium heat 15 minutes.
- Serve with key limes and garnish with corn, chopped jalapeño and cilantro.
This vegan corn soup is comfort food in a bowl. Made with sweet corn for a sweet flavor, coconut milk for a rich taste and key limes to brighten it up.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
🧂 You May Need
Creamy Corn Soup with Jalapeño
- Pour olive oil into a stock pot. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and jalapeño. Cook for 30 seconds. Add in corn and cook until tender, making sure the garlic doesn't burn.
- In a blender add the cooked vegetables and vegetable broth. Blend until smooth. Pour back into the stock pot along with the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with extra corn and jalapeño. Serve with cilantro and a half to a whole key lime per bowl for juicing into the bowl.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.