This savory Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich is an easy meal. If you like hummus, you'll love this!
I made an Apple Chickpea Salad Sandwich recently and loved it so much that I had to make another chickpea salad.
This Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich was inspired by my Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus, which is currently my favorite hummus.
It is basically the same recipe without water and olive oil added. Instead of blending all the ingredients together, I pulsed the main ingredients, then mixed in a tahini spread, and added that to the salad.
In other words, this Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a deconstructed hummus. I guess I watch too many cooking shows.
On TV I see Iron chefs and chefs at fancy restaurants deconstruct dishes all the time. So here's my first experiment with the deconstruction of a recipe process.
I am happy with the results, but then I knew I would be since it is my favorite hummus in chickpea salad form. Talk about a fool-proof recipe!
Those are really the best kind - when you know you are about to make something you know will come out well, unlike the small stack of recipes that I need to tweak in one way or another.
Oh well, they can't all come out great the first time around.
Another recipe to try is my Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
Other Vegan Sandwich Recipes
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Wrap
- Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
This chickpea salad sandwich is an easy healthy meal.
*This post was originally published on June 26, 2015. I updated the photos, added text, and added a video when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Put basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and garbanzo beans in food processor. Pulse. You want a chunky consistency, but mixed enough so that it is spreadable on bread. Set aside.
- In food processor, mix tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Mix tahini spread with garbanzo bean mixture in a bowl. Spread on bread or tortilla and pile on sliced tomatoes, and lettuce.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.