This Veggie Sandwich with Hummus is an easy healthy lunch. Made in minutes with homemade basil pesto hummus. Customize it to your liking!
This Veggie Sandwich with Hummus is about one of the easiest sandwiches that you could make, making it perfect for brown bagging it to work or a quick weeknight meal.
Serve this vegan sandwich with chips or a pasta salad. It can be customized to your liking.
The homemade hummus literally takes minutes to whip up. Throw the ingredients in a food processor, mix, and you're done.
There's no reason to buy store-bought hummus when making your own is so quick and easy!
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Bread: I used a French gluten-free sour dough bread. Use whatever your favorite is.
- Basil Pesto Hummus: This spread combines two recipes in one. It tastes like pesto and hummus got together and had a baby. You could also use your favorite homemade hummus or store-bought hummus.
- Roasted red pepper: Adds a sweet smoky flavor. You could also use fresh red bell pepper.
- Spinach: I used fresh spinach because it doesn't have a strong flavor and because that is what I had on hand. You could use kale or other greens.
- Basil: Adds a minty anise flavor and brings out the flavor of the basil pesto hummus. You could leave it off.
- Red onion: I used red onion, but you could use any kind of onion.
- Tomato: Adds a fresh juicy flavor. Switch it out for your favorite veggies.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Make the basil pesto hummus by mixing all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Toast the bread, if desired. Spread basil pesto hummus on a slice of bread. Sprinkle chopped basil on top.
Layer spinach on the bread, then roasted red pepper, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, and sliced tomato.
There are so many ways you could mix this sandwich up. Here are some of my other homemade hummus recipes to use in this sandwich.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Has a sweet smoky flavor.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus: Sun-dried tomatoes and basil are a match made in heaven!
- Kalamata Olive Hummus: For a briny hummus, look no further.
- Caramelized Onion Hummus: Has a sweet rich flavor.
- Sriracha Hummus: Adds a spicy note.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Fresh red bell pepper
- Roasted veggies
- Avocado - smashed or slices
- Shredded carrot
- Vegan cheese
- Herbs: fresh dill or parsley
- Avocado Basil Pesto in place of the hummus
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Alfalfa sprouts or broccoli sprouts
- Romaine lettuce, kale or other leafy greens
The hummus will last in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. I recommend making the sandwich right before you eat it.
If you want to make it in advance, I recommend slicing all the ingredients to have them ready, then assemble at the last minute.
- Blot the roasted red pepper and tomato with a towel to reduce moisture.
- Create a barrier between the roasted red pepper and the bread for less moisture by layering spinach, then bread, then roasted red pepper.
- Sprinkle salt on the tomato to enhance flavor. (RECIPE card)
This veggie hummus sandwich is a great meal to bring to work or pack in the kids' lunch box.
I originally posted this recipe June 3, 2017. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
I used Cook's GlutenFree Sourdough bread for this recipe. I highly recommend it.
Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
- 2 pieces of gluten free bread toasted - I used brown rice
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto hummus
- 2 thin slices of cucumber (sliced lengthwise)
- 2 thin slices of red onion
- 2 thin slices of tomato
- ¼ of a roasted red pepper sliced
- baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil optional
- Spread basil pesto hummus on toasted bread.
- Layer on cucumber, red onion, and tomato. Sprinkle salt on the tomato, then layer roasted red pepper, spinach, and chopped basil.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Lauren G says
LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! So good. Thank you!!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Lauren, I'm so glad that you like it!
This is a delicious lunch. I LOVE that basil pesto hummus!
I love your recipes. Your blog is just the thing I was looking for. I consider changing my diet and limit the meat intake. I am going to pop up here often. 🙂
Willow Moon says
Thanks Kate, I hope you find some recipes you like!
This looks so yummy! I actually just picked up some basil pesto hummus so will definitely to try this!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Christina, enjoy!
This sandwich sounds delicious! It has all the good things, and crunch, which is ideal! Perfect summer recipe!
My husband is a pesto fanatic! He'd love this sandwich! And I love hearty creative sandwiches for weeknight meals 🙂
Willow Moon says
Thanks Jeni! For weeknights easy is best, right!