This vegan Creamy Tomato Soup with Balsamic Vinegar is not your typical tomato soup! Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful flavor.
If you have been following me for a while, you know that I love to challenge myself in the kitchen. I look into my pantry and see what I can come up with, without going to the grocery store.
This Creamy Tomato Soup with Balsamic Vinegar came about because of a box of diced tomatoes and a box of strained tomatoes that were about to expire.
I won them along with some other Pomi products ages ago and hadn't gotten around to using them. Even though you can use canned and boxed products past their due date, I figured this was a good time to use them.
That is one of the reasons I like to use what's in my pantry before buying more - so that I make sure I am not wasting food!
This creamy vegan tomato soup is rich and creamy with a sweet tangy flavor from balsamic vinegar. It is simple and easy to make.
Another recipe to try is my Balsamic Tofu Marinade.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It's rich and creamy.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a sweet tangy flavor.
- Macadamia nuts add a rich creamy flavor.
- Macadamia nuts: I used raw macadamia nuts. You could also use raw cashews.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion. You also could use a white onion or a sweet onion.
- Olive oil: To cook onions.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Tomato: You can use fresh tomatoes or canned. I used a box of strained tomatoes and a box of chopped tomatoes.
- Oregano and basil: I used ground oregano and basil. If you use fresh, you'll need more than what's listed.
- Tomato paste: Adds a concentrated tomato flavor.
- Vegetable broth: I like to use low-sodium vegetable broth because I like to control the amount of sodium.
- Balsamic vinegar: Adds a sweet tangy flavor. You could leave it out.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor. I like to use sea salt.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Soak macadamia nuts to soften them up. Drain water.
Step 2: Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Add olive oil and chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
Step 3: Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
Step 4: Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Step 6: Pour back into the saucepan along with vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook through.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
There are a few different ingredients that you can add to vegan soup to make it creamy. White beans, cashews, and coconut milk are popular ingredients. For this vegan soup, I used macadamia nuts to make the creamy texture.
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
If you tried this Creamy Tomato Soup with Balsamic Vinegar Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Creamy Tomato Soup with Balsamic Vinegar
- Blender or food processor
- Soak the macadamia nuts in 1 cup of water for at least an hour, to soften them up. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion. Cook until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Put macadamia nuts in a blender or food processor along with some of the tomato mixture. Working in batches, blend all ingredients.
- Put back on the stove top and add vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook until hot and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.