This rich Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pecans is Thanksgiving in a bowl! It is an easy weeknight meal.
Here, I have for you comfort food in a bowl. This Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pecans is a warm blanket on a cold night; a warm fuzzy when you least expect it; a kitten curling up beside you.
Okay, yes it is September, and I have made a soup recipe. (I actually have been waiting to post this recipe since August.) This is a recipe reminiscent of Thanksgiving.
I am weird, alright. Yes, I make and eat soup in the summer, just like I wear black all year round.
I live in Arizona and get teased about that. When I am craving soup, no one can stop me.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is rich and comforting.
- It is simple and easy to make.
- It is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving.
- Onion: I used yellow onion. You could also use white onion.
- Olive oil
- Apple: Adds sweetness.
- Sweet potatoes: Add sweetness.
- Vegetable broth: I used low-sodium vegetable broth because I like to control the amount of sodium.
- Raw pecans: Add a nutty flavor.
- Allspice and nutmeg: Go really well with sweet potato.
- Salt and pepper: Enhance flavors and add flavor. I like to use sea salt.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add olive oil to a large pot on medium heat.
Step 2: Add onions and cook until translucent.
Step 3: Add chopped apple, sweet potato, spices, and vegetable broth. Cook until tender.
Step 4: Toast pecans in a skillet until fragrant.
Step 5: Add sweet potato mixture and toasted pecans to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
❄️ Can I Freeze It?
- Make sure to let the soup cool completely before placing it in a freezer bag or air-tight container.
- Liquids expand as they freeze, so don't fill containers or bags all the way full. For freezer-safe containers, leave about an inch of space from the top. For freezer bags, fill about ¾ the way full. Let out as much air as you can, and lay flat in the freezer.
- Don't forget to label your bag or container with the date, or if you prefer, the date it should be eaten. You can keep soup in the freezer for 4-6 months, but flavors in the freezer start to fade around 2 months.
- When you're ready to eat, let the soup thaw overnight in the fridge, then heat in a saucepan or microwave.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This sweet potato soup recipe is made with sweet potato, apple, onion, vegetable broth, toasted pecans, and spices.
This soup recipe will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other Vegan Soup Recipes
If you tried this Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pecans Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
This vegan sweet potato soup is comfort food in a bowl. You'll want to curl up with this rich soup!
Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pecans
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add chopped apple, sweet potato, vegetable broth, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the onions. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Toast pecans in skillet for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside some of the pecans for garnish, if desired.
- Blend pecans and sweet potato broth mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve with toasted pecans on top.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.