This Ginger Kombucha Scoby Candy is a great way to use your kombucha scobys. This candy is sweet and chewy, like store-bought ginger chews!
Did you know that you can eat a kombucha scoby? Yep, it's true.
Do you want to eat it right out of the kombucha hotel? Probably not since it's a bit tough and chewy.
You could blend it into a smoothie, but I personally load my poor smoothies so much that there isn't much room for anything else.
Enter scoby candy - literally the best way to use up all those kombucha scobys that normally go into the trash. I can't believe I've been throwing away scobys all this time.
You could also make Kombucha Scoby Strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups. They are another favorite way to use all those scobys up.
For this recipe I marinated the scoby in water, maple syrup, ground ginger, and vanilla extract. Then I dehydrated the scoby. The result is a flavorful candy similar to ginger chews. Yum!
- Kombucha scoby
- Water: To marinate the scoby.
- Ground ginger: Adds a spicy flavor.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You can also use agave syrup or your favorite sweetener.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavor and adds flavor.
- Mix water, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and ground ginger.
- Slice kombucha scoby into 1" chunks. Marinate in the marinade for 8 hours. Drain.
- Place marinated scoby pieces on a teflon lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for 36 hours or until the desired chewiness is achieved.
This recipe will last 1-2 weeks in an airtight container. They dry out even more after dehydrating, so I wouldn't store them too long.
Do I Have To Dehydrate Them?
No, you could bake them at the lowest oven setting instead. I haven't tried this method yet, so I can't speak for the results.
The reason for dehydrating the scoby is to keep all of its nutrients.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Other spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Agave syrup, dates, sugar, brown sugar, or vanilla simple syrup
5 Secrets To Making Kombucha
Kombucha just got easier!
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
🥃 Kombucha Recipes
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Ginger Kombucha Scoby Candy
- 1 kombucha scoby (½ cup chopped)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix water, maple syrup, ground ginger, and vanilla extract.
- Cut scoby into 1" pieces. Marinate in mixture up to 8 hours. Drain.
- Place scoby pieces on a teflon lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 110° for 36 hours, or until you get the desired amount of chewiness.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply