This Ginger Kombucha Scoby Candy is a great way to use your kombucha scobys. This candy is sweet and chewy, like store-bought ginger chews!
Did you know that you can eat a kombucha scoby? Yep, it's true.
Do you want to eat it right out of the kombucha hotel? Probably not since it's a bit tough and chewy.
You could blend it into a smoothie, but I personally load my poor smoothies so much that there isn't much room for anything else.
Enter scoby candy - literally the best way to use up all those kombucha scobys that normally go into the trash. I can't believe I've been throwing away scobys all this time.
You could also make Strawberry Kombucha Fruit Leather. They are another favorite way to use all those scobys up.
For this recipe, I marinated the scoby in water, maple syrup, ground ginger, and vanilla extract. Then I dehydrated the scoby. The result is a flavorful candy similar to ginger chews. Yum!
Another ginger recipe to try is my Pineapple Ginger Kombucha Mocktail recipe.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Kombucha scoby
- Water: To marinate the scoby.
- Ground ginger: Adds a spicy flavor.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You can also use agave syrup or your favorite sweetener.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavor and adds flavor.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Other spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Agave syrup, dates, sugar, brown sugar, or vanilla simple syrup
- Mix water, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and ground ginger.
- Slice kombucha scoby into 1" chunks. Marinate in the marinade for 8 hours. Drain.
- Place marinated scoby pieces on a teflon-lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for 36 hours or until the desired chewiness is achieved.
Do I Have To Dehydrate Them?
No, you could bake them at the lowest oven setting instead. I haven't tried this method yet, so I can't speak for the results.
The reason for dehydrating the scoby is to keep all of its nutrients.
This recipe will last 1-2 weeks in an airtight container. They dry out even more after dehydrating, so I wouldn't store them too long.
If you tried this Ginger Kombucha Scoby Candy Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Ginger Kombucha Scoby Candy
- Mix water, maple syrup, ground ginger, and vanilla extract.
- Cut scoby into 1" pieces. Marinate in mixture up to 8 hours. Drain.
- Place scoby pieces on a teflon lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 110° for 36 hours, or until you get the desired amount of chewiness.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.