Peanut butter and banana are a marriage made in heaven in this vegan Peanut Butter Porridge with Banana. It's the ultimate comfort food!
Are you looking for an easy hot meal to warm you up this Winter? Well you've come to the right place. This Peanut Butter Porridge with Banana is perfect for curling up with a blanket and binging on Netflix.
Peanut butter and banana are one of those combinations that belong together, like maple and chipotle or raspberries and chocolate. This gluten free porridge will jump-start you for whatever you need to accomplish. It is packed with nutrients to fuel you for the day.
This vegan porridge comes together pretty quickly. I would advise keeping an eye on it and stirring it constantly. Since it has ground flax seeds, it is quite sticky and will stick to the sides of the pan.
Just think of that stickiness as added fiber and protein, and hopefully, it won't bother you as much when you are doing the dishes.
Banana adds sweetness along with a touch of maple syrup.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Rolled oats: I used gluten-free rolled oats
- Ground flaxseeds: Adds protein and fiber. You could leave it out.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened almond milk because I like to control the amount of sugar. You could also use oat milk, soy milk, coconut milk or your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Banana: I used a ripe banana. You could also use a frozen banana.
- Peanut butter: I used creamy all natural peanut butter. The shelf stable variety would also work.
- Maple syrup: Adds a sweet maple flavor. You could also use agave syrup, brown sugar, dates, or your favorite sweetener.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Combine ground oats, ground flax seeds, and almond milk in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add in half the banana, mashing it as you add it.
- Then add peanut butter, maple syrup, and salt. Cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the porridge and stir it constantly.
- Soak the pan right away, the porridge is quite sticky since it has flax seeds.
- Taste as you go, you may want more or less peanut butter or maple syrup.
- You may want more almond milk. I like my porridge thick, so the amount listed is a starting point.
- Don't skip the salt. It brings out the sweetness of the other ingredients.
This peanut butter oatmeal porridge will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
To reheat it, add a little bit of almond milk and reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave. For reheating it in the microwave use a large bowl so that it doesn't boil over.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Cinnamon, nutmeg
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Roasted peanuts
- Chocolate chips
This healthy vegan porridge recipe is a warm comforting breakfast.
If you tried this Peanut Butter Porridge with Banana Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Peanut Butter Porridge with Banana
- Combine ground oats, ground flax seeds, and almond milk in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add in half the banana, mashing it as you add it. Next, add peanut butter, maple syrup, and salt. Cook for about 5-10 minutes. Scoop into bowls.
- Slice the other half of banana and place on top of porridge. Top with coconut flakes, if using.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.