Whether you are tired of your morning tofu scramble, looking for something different for breakfast, or are allergic to soy, this Spicy Chickpea Scramble is a great alternative!
I am a huge fan of tofu scramble, both in a breakfast burrito and by itself. I think it is probably one of the first recipes that many vegans add to their culinary tool belt. It is one of those meals that you can whip up in a hurry. You can include an array of different vegetables and greens. You can also season it with all your favorite herbs and spices. It is one of those meals that you know will work out every time, because it is so simple to make.
Now enter the chickpea scramble. For those of you who want a change from your tofu scramble, or if you’re allergic to soy, this is a great alternative.
For this Spicy Chickpea Scramble, I used one of my favorite spices – sriracha powder. You could also use sriracha sauce, but I have noticed a slight difference in flavor. The powder carries the heat without the added vinegar taste. Also, sriracha powder packs in a lot of heat in a small quantity. If you haven’t added sriracha powder to your pantry yet, I highly recommend it. There are times when sriracha sauce just won’t work as well in a recipe.
One of my favorite go-to meals using sriracha powder is fried squash. (I probably should have named it Spicy Fried Squash, but oh well. Live and learn.)
Caution… affiliate link above. If you make a purchase through that link, I will probably buy more sriracha powder – or wine, whichever comes first.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Spicy Chickpea Scramble
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups chopped)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 15 oz. chickpeas (garbanzo beans), mostly mashed
- 1 teaspoon sriracha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- Pour olive oil in a hot pan. Add onion and cook on medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add red pepper and carrots. Cook until crisp tender. Add mashed chickpeas, sriracha, turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.