This unique sweet and savory Roasted Butternut and Beetroot Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing is full of flavor.
I have been juicing with beets a lot lately, and thought I would roast them for a change. Roasting vegetables is one of my favorite ways to cook them because it caramelizes their natural sugars and brings out their sweetness.
Since I already had a roasted butternut squash in my fridge, I figured I would use them both in a salad. Consequently, the Roasted Roasted Butternut and Beetroot Salad was born.
Since beets have an earthy taste (even after roasting, but not as much so), I made a sweet Maple Tahini Dressing to accompany the salad and balance out the flavors. For some crunch I added pepitas.
This salad makes a great side dish or light lunch.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Butternut squash: Roasted butternut squash adds a sweet nutty flavor.
- Beets: Roasted beets add a sweet flavor.
- Olive oil: For baking the veggies. Adds flavor.
- Salt: Enhances flavors.
- Lettuce mix: I used a mix of greens. You could use spinach, kale, or whatever your favorite green or mix is.
- Pepitas: Adds a sweet nutty flavor. You could also use pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Flat leaf parsley: Adds a fresh peppery taste.
Maple Tahini Dressing
- Tahini: Adds a creamy texture and rich nutty flavor.
- Maple syrup: For a sweet maple flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar: Adds a sweet acidic flavor. You could also use apple cider vinegar.
- Water: Thins the dressing.
- Walnut oil: Adds a nutty flavor. You could also use extra virgin olive oil.
- Lime juice: Adds a bright tart flavor. You could also use lemon juice.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Slice butternut squash in half. Remove the seeds.
- Cut the greens off the beets and give them a good scrubbing. Slice in half or fourths.
- Lay squash and beets on a parchment lined sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Roast in the oven until tender. Let cool.
- Maple Tahini Dressing: Mix all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Salad: Layer greens, roasted butternut squash and beets, pepitas, and parsley on a plate or in a salad bowl. Top with maple tahini dressing or serve on the side.
I suggest making the salad right before serving. The dressing will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. The roasted vegetables will last 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other Winter Squash Recipes
This vegan salad uses winter vegetables that have been roasted to bring out their sweetness.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
🧂 You May Need
Roasted Butternut and Beetroot Salad
- Preheat oven to 400ᵒ.
- Slice butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Cut off greens and scrub the beets. Slice in half or fourths.
- Place squash and beets on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle both with olive oil and sprinkle salt on them.
- Roast at 400° for 40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
Maple Tahini Dressing
- Blend all ingredients with a fork until smooth.
- Plate lettuce, butternut squash, beets, parsley, pepitas, and dressing, and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.