These Vegan Gyros are an easy weeknight meal. Made in about 15 minutes with homemade vegan tzatziki and soy curls, this is a dish for the whole family!
These Vegan Gyros have a balance of flavors. There's tangy vegan tzatziki, spiced soy curls, fresh tomato and onion all wrapped in a tortilla (or pita).
The soy curls take about 10 minutes to cook up. To put it all together, you'll have a meal in about 15 minutes.
It's perfect for a weeknight meal when you don't feel like slaving away over the stove.
Another recipe using soy curls is my Soy Curl Chilaquiles. Chilaquiles are basically "destroyed enchiladas".
What Are Gyros?
Gyros are a Greek dish that have pork or chicken made on a rotisserie that's served wrapped or stuffed in pita bread with onion, tomatoes fried potato, and tzatziki.
For these Vegan Gyros I used soy curls cooked in spices for the vegan gyro meat, served in a tortilla with tomato, onion, and homemade tzatziki sauce. I used a tortilla because I have yet to find vegan gluten-free pita bread or make some myself.
The spices are a bit different than traditional gyros, but I like them. Feel free to switch them up to your liking!
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Soy curls: I used soy curls because they are hearty and have a similar texture to some meats. You could also use store-bought vegan chicken or vegan beef.
- Spices: I used cumin, allspice, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. They add a good amount of flavor to the soy curls.
- Tomato: Adds a fresh taste and helps balance out the flavors.
- Onion: Adds a pungent flavor. I used a yellow onion, but you could use a white or red onion.
- Tortillas: I used tortillas because I have a gluten intolerance and have not found any vegan gluten-free pita bead. For a more traditional gyro (if you can eat gluten), use pita bread.
- Vegan tzatziki sauce: Is used traditionally in gyros. Adds a tangy flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Soak soy curls in warm water for 10 minutes to soften them up.
Step 2: In a skillet add olive oil, soy curls and spices. Cook for a few minutes until they are just starting to get crispy on the edges. Since the soy curls are all different sizes the small bits will crisp up quickly.
Step 3: Heat tortillas (or pita bread if you can eat gluten) in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds or on the stovetop to make them pliable. Slice a tomato and part of an onion.
Step 4: Assemble the gyros by spreading the soy curls in a tortilla or pita. Next add sliced tomatoes and onion.
Drizzle vegan tzatziki on top or serve on the side. Roll tortilla up tightly like a burrito. If using a pita, you'll either stuff the pocket or place filling on top and fold it over and serve.
These Vegan Gyros will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Store all ingredients separately for the best results and assemble when ready to eat, otherwise your tortillas or pita bread can get soggy.
I ate the gyros a day after shooting the photos and they didn't get soggy. I also did not add very much tzatziki.
If you want to pack some for lunch, I would roll them up without tzatziki in foil or parchment paper, and pack the tzatziki separately.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Vegan meat
- Chickpeas or white beans
- Seitan (if you can eat gluten)
- Sliced cucumber
Here I used soy curls but you could also use store-bought vegan chicken strips, beans, jackfruit, tofu or tempeh.
Other Vegan Wraps and Sandwiches
I originally posted this recipe April 11, 2015. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
Here are the soy curls I used to make the vegan gyros.
- 8 ounce package Butler soy curls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas or gluten free pita
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced onion
- Vegan Tzatziki
- Soak soy curls in hot water for about 10 minutes. Drain water.
- Heat oil in pan and add soy curls and spices.
- Cook until soy curls get slightly crispy.
- Heat tortilla (or pita) over stove or for about 15 seconds in microwave.
- Build wrap with soy curls, tomato, onion, and tzatziki.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
The sauce is incredible. Perfect sauce. The soy curls needed more of a seasoning throughout. I added soy sauce and liquid smoke which helped get the flavor down into the soy curl.
when do ya add the spices to the soy curls? D:
Willow Moon says
After you drain the water, heat the soy curls in oil and add spices - #4 in instructions. Hope that helps!
I love cooking with soy curls! Tzatziki used to be one of my favorite things to order at Greek restaurants. Glad to see a vegan version!