These easy baked Broccoli Tots have a slight cheesy flavor. They are a healthy snack or side dish.
I heard on one of my TV shows recently that Broccoli Tots have been flying off the shelves and are hard to keep in stock because they’re so popular.
I haven’t tried any store-bought Broccoli Tots yet. Instead I decided to make my own own, since they sounded like a brilliant idea.
For my vegan Broccoli Tots I decided to use half Yukon gold potatoes and half broccoli. That way the tots would still have a potato flavor. I added nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.These easy baked Broccoli Tots have a slight cheesy flavor. They are a healthy snack or side dish. Click To Tweet
Dare I say it, but I think I like these better than traditional tator tots! Broccoli adds a wonderful flavor, as does the nutritional yeast.
I baked these tots to keep them healthy. They are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, just like you’d expect from a tot.
I don’t have kids, but I bet they would love them. Another recipe where there’s hidden veggies are my Vegetable Fritters.
What Are Broccoli Tots Made Of?
These vegan broccoli tots are made with steamed broccoli, Yukon Gold potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
Do I Need The Nutritional Yeast?
I made these both with and without nutritional yeast. While I prefer the taste of the broccoli tots with nutritional yeast, it is not necessary.
What to Pair Broccoli Tots With
Other Broccoli Recipes
- Spinach and Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- Spicy Hummus Tortilla Pizza
- Broccoli Fritters
- Vegan Broccoli Salad with Dried Cranberries
How to Make Broccoli Tots
- Steam the broccoli. Let cool. In a cheesecloth or dish towel, squeeze out as much water as possible. If you forget (like I did the first time making these), all is not lost. You can still form them easily; you’ll just need to cook them a little longer.
- Place broccoli in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Place Yukon Gold potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender. Let cool.
- Peel potatoes. Using the largest setting on a box grater, grate potatoes.
- Mix finely chopped broccoli, grated potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Form into cylinders.
- Place tots on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 30 minutes.
Can I Freeze Broccoli Tots?
Yes you can! After you form the Broccoli Tots, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer.
After they are frozen, put them in a freezer bag. You can keep broccoli tots in the freezer 4-6 months, but flavors in the freezer start to fade around 2 months.
How Do I Cook Frozen Broccoli Tots?
You can either bake them or fry them. For both ways, they can be cooked straight from the freezer. I personally had better success baking them.
They didn’t cook as evenly when frying them and they were on the verge of falling apart.
To Bake frozen Broccoli Tots (recommended way of cooking them): Place frozen broccoli tots on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook at 350° for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
To Fry Broccoli Tots: Heat 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil in a pan. Oil should be 375°. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test oil with a wooden spoon. The oil will start bubbling around the spoon.
You can also test your oil by sprinkling a few drops of water in the pan. If they sizzle, your pan is ready.
Fry 3-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
These vegan broccoli tots are a healthy addition to any meal. Make a big batch and freeze them for later.
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Steam broccoli until crisp tender. Let cool. In a cheesecloth or clean towel, squeeze out as much water as possible. You'll be left with about 1 cup of broccoli when measuring it. Let cool.
- Once the broccoli is cool, pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place whole potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and boil potatoes until they are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, then grate potatoes in a bowl on the the largest setting of a box grater.
- Add finely chopped broccoli, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, make tots. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until crispy, flipping halfway through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.