These easy baked Broccoli Tots have a slightly cheesy flavor. They are a healthy snack or side dish.
I heard on one of my TV shows recently that Broccoli Tots have been flying off the shelves and are hard to keep in stock because they're so popular.
I haven't tried the store-bought version yet. Instead, I decided to make my own own, since they sounded like a brilliant idea.
For my vegan tot's recipe, I decided to use half Yukon gold potatoes and half broccoli. That way the tots would still have a potato flavor. I added nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
Dare I say it, but I think I like these better than traditional vegan tater tots! Broccoli adds a wonderful flavor, as does the nutritional yeast.
I baked these tots to keep them healthy. They are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, just like you'd expect from a tot.
These vegan tots are a healthy addition to any meal. Make a big batch and freeze them for later.
I don't have kids, but I bet they would love them. Another recipe where there are hidden veggies is my Vegetable Fritters.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- You can make a big batch and freeze some.
- They are healthy and hearty.
- They make a great side dish or snack.
- Broccoli: I have only used fresh broccoli with these. Frozen broccoli would probably work as well since you squeeze out the water after steaming it.
- Potatoes: I used Yukon Gold potatoes. Russet potatoes would also work.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. I made these both with and without nutritional yeast. While I prefer the taste of the broccoli tots with nutritional yeast, it is not necessary.
- Olive oil: Binds the tots together.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Steam the broccoli. Let cool. In a cheesecloth or dish towel, squeeze out as much water as possible. If you forget (like I did the first time making these), all is not lost. You can still form them easily; you'll just need to cook them a little longer.
Step 2: Place broccoli in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Step 3: Place Yukon Gold potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender. Let cool.
Step 4: Peel potatoes. Using the largest setting on a box grater, grate potatoes.
Step 5: Mix finely chopped broccoli, grated potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
Step 6: Form the mixture into cylinders.
Step 7: Place tots on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until crispy, about 30 minutes.
❄️ Can I Freeze Them?
Yes, you can! After you form the Broccoli Tots, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place tots in the freezer.
After they are frozen, put them in a freezer bag. You can keep broccoli tots in the freezer for 4-6 months, but flavors in the freezer start to fade around 2 months.
Cooking From Frozen
You can either bake them or fry them. For both ways, they can be cooked straight from the freezer. I had better success baking them.
They didn't cook as evenly when frying them and they were on the verge of falling apart.
To Bake Frozen Broccoli Tots (recommended way of cooking them): Place frozen broccoli tots on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cook at 350° for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
To Fry Broccoli Tots: Heat ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil in a pan. Oil should be 375°. If you don't have a thermometer, you can test the oil with a wooden spoon. The oil will start bubbling around the spoon.
You can also test your oil by sprinkling a few drops of water in the pan. If they sizzle, your pan is ready.
Fry for 3-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
- Vegan Green Goddess Dip recipe
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Tahini Dressing
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
These vegan broccoli tots are made with broccoli, Yukon Gold potatoes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
Yes, you can freeze broccoli tots right after forming them and bake them straight from the oven.
Vegan Broccoli Recipes
If you tried this Broccoli Tots Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
- Cheesecloth or clean kitchen towel
- Box grater
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Steam broccoli until crisp tender. Let cool. In a cheesecloth or clean towel, squeeze out as much water as possible. You'll be left with about 1 cup of broccoli when measuring it. Let cool.
- Once the broccoli is cool, pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place whole potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and boil potatoes until they are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, then grate potatoes in a bowl on the the largest setting of a box grater.
- Add finely chopped broccoli, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, make tots. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until crispy, flipping halfway through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.