This vegan gluten free Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich is rich and satisfying. Roasted garlic mayo compliments the roasted vegetables, basil, and balsamic vinegar.
This Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich was inspired by a sandwich I used to get at a restaurant during my lunch break many years ago. I believe the original had cream cheese, which tells me it was almost twenty years ago, since I have been vegan for 17.
I am not sure how they made their sandwich. They could have used a balsamic reduction or perhaps drizzled balsamic vinegar on top. I just remember that there was balsamic vinegar on roasted vegetables.
To compliment the basil and balsamic vegetables, I made a roasted garlic mayo, which I think is worth the little bit of effort it takes to make it. For me roasted garlic is like caramelized onions in that it elevates any dish from great to awesome.
Other Sandwich Recipes
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Wrap
- Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Vegetables: I used eggplant, red bell pepper, zucchini, and onion. Use whatever veggies you like.
- Balsamic vinegar: Adds a sweet rich, bold flavor.
- Olive oil: Adds flavor and enhances flavors.
- Basil: Adds a fresh savory flavor with hints of mint and anise.
- Garlic: I used a whole head of roasted garlic. It mellows out and is sweeter when roasting.
- Vegan mayo: Adds a creamy sour flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances the other flavors and adds flavor.
- Bread: I used a mix to make buns. Use your favorite bread or buns.
How To Make This Recipe
- Marinate the veggies in balsamic vinegar.
- Bake until tender.
- Slice the end off of the garlic. Place on tinfoil. Drizzle olive oil on top.
- Bake until caramelized. Let cool.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out and mix with vegan mayo.
- Spread garlic mayo on a bun or bread.
- Layer sandwiches with veggies and chopped basil.
How Long Do The Roasted Veggies Last?
The veggies will last up to 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. I recommend making the sandwiches when you want to eat them, but you can make them the day before.
Variations / Additions
- Vegan cream cheese
- Red onion
- Greens or sprouts
- Vegan pesto
- Slices of vegan cheese
This roasted veggie sandwich is a hearty meal.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I used Pamela's pizza mix to make the buns. If you're vegan and gluten free like me, you're going to want to check it out. It's got a wonderful yeasty flavor.
Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
- ¼ of an eggplant thinly sliced (1 cup sliced)
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sliced onion
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- bread or buns - I used Pamela's Pizza Mix to make gluten free buns
Roasted Garlic Mayo
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Marinate the vegetables in the balsamic vinegar for at least an hour to overnight.
- In a baking dish place the marinated veggies. Drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 10-20 minutes, or until tender. Cooking time will depend upon thickness of vegetables.
- Roasted Garlic Mayo: slice about ½" off a head of garlic (the pointy end), exposing the cloves, and leaving the skin on. Put the garlic in aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil on top. Cover the garlic with the aluminum foil. Roast at 450° for 35-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out, mash with a fork, and mix in vegan mayo.
- Spread garlic mayo on a slice of bread. Layer vegetables on the other slice. Sprinkle chopped basil on top. Top with the other slice of bread.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
This is my new Meatless Monday meal. I love how simple and tasty it is! Thanks for the recipe!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Denise, I'm glad you like it!
Oh using eggplant in a burger is so yummy! looks so good, definitely trying it soon 🙂
Oh this recipe looks delicious! I think I could eat a roasted veggie sandwich everyday ha! Thank you for sharing this easy and healthy recipe!
Willow Moon says
Home by Jenn says
This really looks like the perfect sandwich. Roasted veggies, garlic mayo, yummo! I will definitely be trying this soon!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Jenn! Let me know what you think!
Gorgeous, juicy, delicious sandwich turned out 🙂 I would love this 🙂
Willow Moon says