This Tempeh Avocado Wrap is made with savory tempeh cooked in tamari, creamy avocado, sweet cranberry sauce, and nutty tahini sauce.
This Tempeh Avocado Wrap has a balance of flavors and textures. There's crunchy lettuce, creamy avocado, and chewy tempeh.
It's got an umami flavor from tamari, a sweet flavor from orange cranberry sauce, and a nutty flavor from tahini.
It is quick and easy meal. For even more veggies I have a Vegan Veggie Wrap and a Thai Veggie Wrap.
Serve it with some Baked Vegan Onion Rings or Ranch Kale Chips.
What Is Tempeh Made Of?
The most common form of tempeh is made from fermented soybeans. Sometimes it has a mixture of beans and whole grains.
What Does Tempeh taste Like?
Tempeh has an earthy, nutty flavor. It is similar to tofu in that it soaks up the flavors you cook or marinate it in. It has a stronger taste than tofu and is very hearty.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Tempeh: I used soy tempeh because it is gluten-free.
- Tamari: I used low sodium gluten free tamari so that I can control the amount of sodium. Adds an umami flavor.
- Avocado: Adds a creamy texture.
- Spinach: I like spinach because it doesn't add a very strong flavor. You could use kale or other greens.
- Tortillas: I used gluten-free tortillas, but you could use your favorite.
- Tahini: Adds a nutty sesame flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds a bright tart flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Water: Thins it out the spread.
- Cranberry Sauce: Adds a tart flavor.
- Orange juice and zest: Adds a bright orange flavor.
- Salt: Enhances the other flavors.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Mix tahini, lemon juice, garlic, water and salt.
- Zest and juice an orange. Add 2 tablespoons of the juice and ½ teaspoon of the zest to cranberry sauce. Mix well.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add crumbled tempeh and tamari. Cook until tempeh is browned and crispy on the edges.
- Heat gluten-free tortilla in microwave to make it pliable.
- Spread orange cranberry sauce and tahini on tortilla. Layer spinach, avocado, and tempeh.
- Fold in sides, and tightly roll away from you. Slice in half, if desired.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Thinly sliced red onion or chopped green onion
- Mushrooms, also cooked in tamari
- Tofu in place of tempeh
- Granny Smith apple
- Kale, arugula, or another leafy greens
- Carrots, red pepper, or other veggies
- Vegan mayo
- Collard greens in place of tortillas
The separate components of this recipe will last about 7 days in airtight containers in the fridge. (Keep them in individual containers until ready to assemble.)
This vegan wrap has the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors.
I originally posted this recipe November 24, 2014. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Tempeh Avocado Wrap
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch salt
Orange Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium gluten free tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces soy tempeh crumbled
- 1 cup spinach or other greens
- 2 avocados sliced
- 6 gluten free tortillas
- Mix ingredients until blended.
Orange Cranberry Sauce
- Zest and juice ½ an orange and combine with the cranberry sauce.
- Fry tempeh with olive oil and tamari until browned.
- Heat tortilla in the microwave or on the stove.
- Spread tahini and orange cranberry sauce on tortilla. Layer the spinach, tempeh, and avocado on tortilla. Fold sides in, then roll tightly away from you.
- Repeat with the rest of wraps.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
..Jamie love your desserts! cranberries apple salad sounds good.
Willow Moon says