This smoky, savory Vegan Submarine Sandwich will hit the spot when you are craving a hearty sandwich!
I have been creating quite a few recipes with tofu bacon lately. It is really versatile with its sweet, smoky flavor. Since tofu bacon goes well in a sandwich, I thought I'd make a Vegan Submarine Sandwich using it.
To add some Italian flavor, I added red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I also made some roasted garlic mayo.
I could literally eat roasted garlic mayo on toast daily, it is so rich and luxurious. Greek peperoncinis add a bit of spice, and Kalamata olives add a salty, savory touch.
For those of you who are vegan and gluten-free, I know finding good bread can be difficult, especially a baguette for a submarine sandwich.
I've been using Pamela's pizza mix to make buns, baguettes, and calzones. I love both the texture and the flavor.
I think the secret to making a great sandwich is a good bread-to-filling ratio. For a sandwich like this, it's imperative to dig some of the bread out. That way, you won't have too much bread.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is hearty and satisfying.
- It's simple and easy to make.
- It has the perfect bread-to-filling ratio.
Roasted Garlic Mayo
- Garlic: Adds a sweet pungent flavor once it is roasted.
- Olive oil: For roasting the garlic.
- Vegan mayo: I like Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart. Use your favorite vegan mayonnaise.
- Baguette: I used Pamela's pizza mix to make a baguette. I like it because it is vegan, gluten-free, and tastes delicious.
- Romaine lettuce: You could also use iceberg or other greens.
- Vegan mozzarella: I like Daiya or Follow Your Heart brands. Use your favorite brand. You could also use vegan cheddar.
- Tofu bacon: I used my Homemade Tofu Bacon recipe. You could also use store-bought vegan deli slices.
- Tomato: Use a large tomato so you can slice it.
- Red onion: I prefer red onion for this recipe, but you could use a yellow onion or white onion.
- Peperoncinis: Adds spice. You could leave them off.
- Kalamata olives: You also could use green olives or leave them off.
- Red wine vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Adds a fruity flavor.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Roasted Garlic Mayo
Step 1: Slice ½" off the top of the head of garlic.
Step 2: Put in aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil on top.
Step 3: Roast until tender. Let cool.
Step 4: Squeeze cloves out and mix in a small bowl with vegan mayonnaise.
Step 1: Slice the baguette in half.
Step 2: Dig some of the bread out.
Step 2: Spread roasted garlic mayo on one side of the bread.
Step 3: On the other side of the bread, drizzle red wine vinegar and olive oil on top.
Step 4: Layer Romaine lettuce, vegan Mozzarella, tofu bacon, sliced tomato, red onion, peperoncinis, and black olives on top.
Step 5: Top with the other slice of bread.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This vegan submarine sandwich is made with tofu bacon, vegan mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, olives, roasted garlic mayo, and red wine vinegar.
I recommend making them right before serving, but if you need to, you could make it the day before. For brown bagging it for work, wrap it in parchment paper or aluminum foil. The tofu bacon will last 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other Vegan Sandwiches
This vegan sandwich will probably be enough for a couple of meals unless you have a large appetite.
If you tried this Vegan Submarine Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Submarine Sandwich
- 6" baguette - I used half a bag of Pamela's pizza mix to make my bread
- Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of vegan mozzarella sliced thin
- 1 ½ slices tofu bacon
- 4-5 slices of tomato
- Slices red onion
- 2 peperoncinis thinly slices (optional)
- 5 Kalamata olives sliced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Roasted Garlic Mayo
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slice about ½″ off the head of garlic (the pointy end), exposing the cloves, and leaving the skin on. Put the garlic in aluminum foil and drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on top. Cover the garlic with the aluminum foil. Roast at 450°F for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool. Squeeze garlic out of skin, mash with a fork, and mix with vegan mayo.
- Slice baguette in half. Dig some of the bread out to get better bread to filling ratio. Spread roasted garlic mayo on one slice. On the other slice, drizzle red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Layer Romaine lettuce, vegan mozzarella, tofu bacon, sliced tomato, red onion, peperoncinis, and black olives on one slice of the baguette. Top with the other slice of bread.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.