This smoky, savory Vegan Submarine Sandwich will hit the spot when you are craving a hearty sandwich!
I have been creating quite a few recipes with tofu bacon lately. It is really versatile with its sweet, smoky flavor. Since tofu bacon goes well in a sandwich, I thought I’d make a Vegan Submarine Sandwich using it.
To add some Italian flavor, I added red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. I also made some roasted garlic mayo.
I could literally eat roasted garlic mayo on toast daily, it is so rich and luxurious. Greek peperoncinis add a bit of spice, and Kalamata olives add a salty, savory touch.
For those of you who are vegan and gluten free, I know finding good bread can be difficult, especially a baguette for a submarine sandwich.
I’ve been using Pamela’s pizza mix to make buns, baguettes, and calzones. I love both the texture and the flavor.
I think the secret to making a great sandwich is a good bread to filling ratio. For a sandwich like this, it’s imperative to dig some of the bread out. That way, you won’t have too much bread.
Vegan Submarine Sandwich
This vegan sandwich will probably be enough for a couple of meals unless you have a large appetite.
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I used Pamela’s pizza mix to make the buns. If you’re vegan and gluten free like me, you’re going to want to check it out. It’s got a wonderful yeasty flavor.
Vegan Submarine Sandwich
Roasted Garlic Mayo
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 6" baguette - I used half a bag of Pamela's pizza mix to make my bread
- Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of vegan mozzarella sliced thin
- 1 1/2 slices tofu bacon
- 4-5 slices of tomato
- Slices red onion
- 2 peperoncinis thinly slices (optional)
- 5 Kalamata olives sliced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted Garlic Mayo: Preheat oven to 450°.
- Slice about 1/2″ off the head of garlic (the pointy end), exposing the cloves, and leaving the skin on. Put the garlic in aluminum foil and drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on top. Cover the garlic with the aluminum foil. Roast at 450° for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool. Squeeze garlic out of skin, mash with a fork, and mix with vegan mayo.
- Submarine Sandwich: Slice baguette in half. Dig some of the bread out to get better bread to filling ratio. Spread roasted garlic mayo on one slice. On the other slice, drizzle red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Layer Romaine lettuce, vegan mozzarella, tofu bacon, sliced tomato, red onion, peperoncinis, and black olives on one slice of the baguette. Top with the other slice of bread.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.