Add this vegan Tofu Bacon to your favorite sandwich (like a vegan BLT), or a salad. It is smoky and sweet.
I think I have said this before, but I will say it again. In the seventeen years that I have been vegan, I have never bought bacon analogues. I haven’t craved bacon, or anything resembling it. So why make Tofu Bacon now? Because I know that there are people out there transitioning to plant based foods that want a bacon substitute.
Yes, I realize that there are umpteen different recipes out there already for vegan bacon, but I also know that sometimes people need a new messenger to deliver the message. There are many authors that talk about the Law of Attraction, but I only gravitate towards a few of them, even though they are all basically saying the same thing. Besides, I thought it would be good to add Tofu Bacon to my culinary repertoire.
Recently, I have fallen in love with Pamela’s pizza crust mix. You can make it into bread, buns, or calzones. Happy dance! So instead of using tiny slices of brown rice bread or brown rice tortillas that fall apart, which are my normal vegan gluten free go-to bread products, I get to make artisan style bread that I can make into the shapes and sizes that I want. They taste great and do not fall apart! Pictured below is a vegan BLT made with Pamela’s.
*Yep, you guessed it – I can’t get anything past you! That’s an affiliate link above. If you make a purchase through that link I will probably buy more pizza mix, or wine, whichever comes first.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
- 15 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 cup low sodium gluten free tamari
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Slice tofu about 1/8″ thick. Let sit for about 15 minutes in between a towel to soak up moisture.
- Mix marinade ingredients (except olive oil). Pour over tofu and let sit for several hours to overnight.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Place marinated tofu in pan, and cook for several minutes on each side. Spoon some of the marinade on top. Cook both sides until crispy*.
*Note: You can also pour all of the marinade on and let simmer until the marinade dissolves, giving a more intense flavor.