Add this vegan Tofu Bacon to your favorite sandwich (like a vegan BLT), or a salad. It is smoky and sweet.
Vegan Bacon Substitute
I think I have said this before, but I will say it again. In the seventeen years that I have been vegan, I have never bought bacon analogues (bacon alternatives). I haven't craved bacon, or anything resembling it.
So why make a Tofu Bacon recipe now? Because I know that there are people out there transitioning to plant based foods that want a bacon substitute.
Besides, I thought it would be good to add Tofu Bacon to my culinary repertoire, and I love tofu.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Tofu: I used extra firm tofu. You could also use firm tofu, but extra firm tofu has less moisture.
- Tamari: Adds a salty umami flavor. I use low sodium tamari because I like to control the amount of sodium.
- Maple syrup: For a sweet maple flavor. Balances out the other flavors.
- Liquid smoke: Adds a smoky flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds a tangy sour flavor. You could also use red wine vinegar or rice vinegar.
- Olive oil: To cook the tofu in. Adds flavor.
- Paprika: Adds a spicy smoky flavor.
How To Make Tofu Bacon
- Drain and press the tofu for at least 15 to 30 minutes. This gets all the moisture out, improves its texture, and helps to hold its shape.
- Marinate the tofu for at least an hour to overnight so that it can absorb the flavors.
- Cook for several minutes until crispy.
How Long Will It Last?
This tofu bacon recipe will last about 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Ways To Use Tofu Bacon
- On veggie burgers
- Any place you want to add a savory, smoky taste.
This vegan bacon recipe is sweet and savory. Add it to a sandwich or your favorite dish. It may not taste like bacon, but it does have a smoky flavor that is sure to satisfy.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
- Slice tofu about ⅛" thick.
- Mix marinade ingredients (except olive oil). Pour over tofu and let sit for at least an hour to overnight.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Place marinated tofu in pan, and cook for several minutes on each side. Spoon some of the marinade on top. Cook both sides until crispy.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Do You Prepear?
I have partnered with Prepear as one of their Meal Plan Pros to offer meal plans and recipes to users. It makes meal planning fast and easy! Plus it's FREE!