This Tofu Bacon has the perfect balance of smoky, sweet, and salty flavors. It is marinated and then fried or baked. Perfect for sandwiches!
This Tofu Bacon may not taste like the real thing, but it is really good! It is sweet and smoky.
Sandwich in between two slices of toast with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and vegan mayo or roasted red pepper tahini spread for a Vegan BLT with Avocado.
My Soy Curl Jerky recipe can also be used for bacon bits.
- Tofu: I used extra firm tofu that is packed in water. It's found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You could also use firm tofu, but extra firm tofu has less moisture.
- Tamari: Adds a salty umami flavor. I use low sodium tamari because I like to control the amount of sodium. You could also use low sodium soy sauce.
- Maple syrup: For a sweet maple flavor. Balances out the other flavors.
- Liquid smoke: Adds a smoky flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds a tangy sour flavor. You could also use red wine vinegar or rice vinegar.
- Olive oil: To cook the tofu in. If you bake it, you won't need olive oil.
- Paprika: Adds a spicy smoky flavor. You could also use smoked paprika.
- Salt: Taste the marinade to see if you want salt. The tamari and liquid smoke have a good amount of salt, so you don't need much.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Drain and press the tofu for at least 15 to 30 minutes. This gets all the excess moisture out, improves the texture, and helps to hold its shape.
If you don't have a tofu press, you can place the drained tofu between a clean kitchen towel and place a heavy object like a cast iron skillet on top.
Step 2: Slice tofu ⅛" - ¼" thick. Marinate the tofu strips in a shallow dish for at least an hour to overnight so that it can absorb the flavors.
Step 3: Place the tofu strips in a large skillet and cook on both sides on medium heat for several minutes until crispy. You can also place tofu on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven, flipping halfway through.
This vegan tofu bacon recipe will last about 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
This vegan bacon recipe is sweet and savory. Add it to a sandwich or your favorite dish. It may not taste like bacon, but it does have a smoky flavor that is sure to satisfy.
If you tried this Tofu Bacon Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on May 14, 2016. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
- Slice tofu about ¼" - ⅛" thick.
- Mix marinade ingredients (except olive oil) in a large shallow container, like a baking dish. Place tofu in the marinade and let sit for at least an hour to overnight. Add salt to taste.
- For baking: Preheat oven to 400°.
- For frying: In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Place marinated tofu in pan. Spoon some of the marinade on top. Cook both sides until crispy. For baking: Place tofu on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, then flip. Cook for another 20 minutes or until crispy on edges.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results