This easy sweet and savory Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche is made with tofu and has a chickpea flour crust. Perfect for parties!
Caramelized onions are one of my favorite ingredients. They take any dish to the next level.
Many times I pair them with mushrooms, but for this Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche they are the star of the show.
For this vegan quiche I mixed the caramelized onions with tofu. Then I added tamari and white miso paste for a savory umami flavor.
I added nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. You could add the caramelized onions to the quiche filling last, and pulse until you get your desired consistency.
I saved about a quarter cup of the onions to spread on top.
Whether you add the onions first or last, it'll taste great. It just depends on the textures you prefer. I will probably make it with thicker chunks next time to see if I like it better.
Other Vegan Caramelized Onion Recipes
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- Caramelized Red Onion Dip
This easy sweet and savory Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche is made with tofu and has a chickpea flour crust. Perfect for parties! Click To Tweet
Tips for making Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche
- For caramelized onions you need some patience. It takes a good 40 minutes to get nicely browned onions. Slow and steady wins the race.
- If the onions start to stick, add a little water, like a quarter of a cup or so.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful flavor to caramelized onions. I always add a couple of splashes near the end of the cooking time.
- If you want a chunky onion filling, add the caramelized onions last to the tofu mixture and pulse until you get the desired consistency.
- Save about a quarter cup of caramelized onions to top the quiche.
- Pre-bake the chickpea flour crust, then add the filling and bake some more. That way you'll have a crunchy flaky crust.
- Don't have a cover for your quiche pan? No problem! Just use that shower cap you got from your last vacation. It works great in place of plastic wrap.
Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche
This sweet and savory vegan quiche has a creamy filling with a flaky crust. It will be the hit of your next brunch.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche
Chickpea Flour Crust
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Chickpea Flour Crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients. It should be the consistency of play dough. Oil a 9" pan with olive oil, including the sides of the pan. Oil your hands as well.
- Spread the dough out in the pan, including the sides, pressing down to get it even. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are starting to turn golden.
- Filling: Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium low heat. Add sliced onions. Sprinkle salt on onions.
- Stir the onions every few minutes or so. Cook about 35-40 minutes until they are well-browned. Add a small amount of water if they start to stick. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until it's evaporated.
- In a food processor, mix caramelized onions* - reserving 1/4 cup to place on top, tofu, tamari, miso paste, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread filling on chickpea flour crust. Sprinkle reserved onions on top. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until browned.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Do You Prepear?
I have partnered with Prepear as one of their Meal Plan Pros to offer meal plans and recipes to users. It makes meal planning fast and easy! Plus it's FREE!