This Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms is the side dish you want on your holiday menu! It feels indulgent, yet it is healthy!
I made this Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms because I am all about a healthy swap. Whenever I can swap out a starchy vegetable or a processed grain, I am all over it.
I’ve been known to make wraps with nori seaweed or green lettuce. I love to make noodles out of zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, and cucumber. And whenever a recipe calls for mashed potatoes or rice, I replace them with cauliflower.
Healthy But Indulgent
This is the perfect Thanksgiving side. It is healthy, yet you feel like you are indulging. Sweet caramelized onions and mushrooms elevate creamy mashed cauliflower to another level. I would have to do a side-by-side taste test, but I think that I prefer the taste of mashed cauliflower over mashed potatoes even without the onions and mushrooms.
This dish isn’t as heavy as mashed potatoes, so you will still have room for dessert!
Whenever I include caramelized onions and mushrooms in a recipe, I know that it will be a hit. They are foolproof ingredients that I love in anything I add them to.
To be honest, I prefer multicultural cuisine for the holidays and in general. I’ve been known to eat Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta and Walnut Sauce or Bean and Corn Enchiladas on Christmas. I’ve had falafel and hummus or sushi on Thanksgiving. I’m just not that into traditional American holiday foods.
I do like a healthy swap though, and since I am a food blogger, I thought I should include some traditional recipes like this one and my Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples with Tahini Dressing. As long as I put my spin on it, I am a happy camper.
My plan was to create at least two more holiday recipes before Thanksgiving, but this weekend I broke my ankle. Those of you who post on social media know that posts need to be published and shared on social media in a timely manner.
Even though I am using a wheelchair, I don’t know how much I will be able to get done. I am either in a state of being in pain, or feeling yucky from my meds, so food is not on my radar much, except to make sure that I am getting enough nutrients to heal.
I was going to create two desserts, which may have to wait until next year. It’s a good thing that I have three months worth of posts waiting to be posted so that I don’t have to create any new recipes!
This Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms feels indulgent, yet it is healthy! Click To Tweet
Other Healthy Swaps That You Might Like
- Maple Chipotle Black Bean Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa
- Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
- Bean and Mexican Cauliflower Rice Burritos
- Ginger Garlic Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or Earth Balance
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 onion, chopped (2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Slash balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Steam cauliflower. Set aside until cool. Mix in food processor with almond milk, salt, pepper, and olive oil or Earth Balance.
- Heat olive oil in a pan at medium low heat and add chopped onion. Stir the onion until it is coated with oil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the onions.
- Stir the onions every few minutes or so. Cooking will take about 20 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan after 15 minutes. Add sliced mushroom, and cook a few minutes more.
- Reheat mashed cauliflower on stovetop or in microwave. Top with caramelized onions and mushrooms.