This Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms is the side dish you want on your holiday menu! It feels indulgent, yet it is healthy!
I made this Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms because I am all about healthy swaps. Whenever I can swap out a starchy vegetable or a processed grain, I am all over it.
I've been known to make wraps with nori seaweed or green lettuce. I love to make noodles out of zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, and cucumber.
Whenever a recipe calls for mashed potatoes or rice, I replace them with cauliflower.
This is the perfect Thanksgiving side. It is healthy, yet you feel like you are indulging. Sweet caramelized onions and mushrooms elevate creamy mashed cauliflower to another level.
This dish isn't as heavy as mashed potatoes, so you will still have room for dessert!
I prefer multicultural cuisine for the holidays and in general. I've been known to eat Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta and Walnut Sauce or Tofu Enchiladas on Christmas.
I do like a healthy swap though, and since I am a food blogger, I thought I should include some traditional recipes like this one and my Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples with Tahini Dressing.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is healthy and flavorful.
- It's the perfect side dish for the holidays.
- Caramelized onions and mushrooms elevate mashed cauliflower to another level.
- Cauliflower: You could use fresh or frozen cauliflower.
- Olive oil: For the mashed cauliflower, you could also use vegan butter, like Earth Balance.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened plain almond milk. You could use any dairy-free milk.
- Onion: A sweet onion, yellow onion, or white onion all will work. Although I prefer a sweet onion or yellow onion.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavors.
- Balsamic vinegar: Adds sweetness. You could also add a pinch of sugar or brown sugar, which I've been known to do when I don't have balsamic vinegar.
- Mushrooms: I used baby portobello mushrooms. You could use your favorite mushrooms.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Steam cauliflower, then let it cool.
Step 2: Add cauliflower, almond milk, olive oil or vegan butter, and salt and pepper to a food processor. Set aside.
Step 3: Add olive oil and onions to a skillet. Heat on medium-low.
Step 4: Cook for about 35-40 minutes.
Step 5: Pour a splash of balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
Step 6: Add mushrooms and cook a few minutes more.
Step 7: Reheat mashed cauliflower and top with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You probably didn't cook it long enough. Make sure the steamed cauliflower is fork-tender.
Mashed cauliflower makes an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes. It becomes creamy when blended with olive oil or vegan butter and almond milk.
Other Healthy Swaps
If you tried this Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Whether you are cutting back on carbs or want to add more veggies to your repertoire, this mashed cauliflower recipe is for you. Caramelized onions and portobello mushrooms add a rich touch. Perfect for a Thanksgiving side.
Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Steam cauliflower. Set aside until cool. Mix in food processor with almond milk, salt, pepper, and olive oil or Earth Balance.
- Heat olive oil in a pan at medium low heat and add sliced onions. Stir the onions until they are coated with oil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the onions.
- Stir the onions every few minutes or so. Cooking will take about 35-40 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. Add sliced mushroom, and cook a few minutes more.
- Reheat mashed cauliflower on stovetop or in microwave. Top with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.