This easy Chai Spice Mix recipe can be used in lattes, baked goods, desserts, overnight oats, and more. Customize it to your liking.
This homemade Chai Spice Mix is the perfect addition to a latte or other warm drink. It can be added to oatmeal, baked goods, or your favorite dessert.
It's made in minutes with only six ingredients and can be customized to your liking. It makes a great gift for the holidays.
How To Make This Recipe
- Mix cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, allspice, black pepper, and cloves.
- Pour chai blend into an airtight container.
Does This Recipe Contain Caffeine?
This chai spice blend does not contain caffeine. Chai spice can be added to black tea, which does have caffeine.
How To Use Chai Spice
- any dessert with apple, pumpkin, chocolate, vanilla, or nuts
- in place of pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice
- oatmeal or overnight oats
- banana bread
- French toast
- dirty chai latte or chai tea latte
- black tea
- hot cocoa
- Start with less than the amount shown and taste as you go. You can always add more, but you cannot take it away.
- Grind whole spices when possible. They are fresher and have a stronger flavor.
- If you do not have time to grind your own spices, make sure to use the freshest spices possible.
- Store in an airtight mason jar in a cool dark place.
How To Grind Spices
- First you'll need to toast whole spices. Toast each one separately. They toast at different rates, so this will insure that they don't burn.
- Place one of the spices in a dry cast iron skillet (or frying pan if you don't have cast iron) on medium-low heat.
- Give the pan a shake. When you start to smell it, it is done.
- Let it cool.
- Grind each spice with a spice grinder, a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
Variations / Additions
- star anise
- vanilla bean
- fennel seeds
How Long Does It Last?
Ground spices can last up to 2-3 years, but are freshest within the first 10 months.
How To Store
Store in an airtight mason jar in a cool dark place.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Chai Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients.
- Pour into a glass jar.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.