This sweet Chai Simple Syrup adds warm spices to cocktails, pancakes, desserts, and hot drinks. Made with chai tea, it's super easy to make!
This Chai Simple Syrup came about because I was making kombucha, and I wanted a chai flavor. It can also be used in iced coffee, hot tea drinks, hot chai latte, and desserts.
It is sweet from brown sugar with warming chai spices. Made with chai tea bags, it couldn't be any easier!
You could also make your own spice blend of Chai Spice Mix to add to baked goods.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- This homemade chai syrup recipe can be used in many recipes, like drinks, desserts, and sweet breakfasts.
- It is simple and easy to make, with a shelf life of two weeks.
- It's made in minutes. The best part is it's made with chai tea, so you don't have to measure out the various spices.
- Chai tea bags: Add warming spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, allspice, nutmeg, black pepper, and cloves. I used chai tea bags because this homemade chai simple syrup recipe comes together quickly and easily. You could also use a homemade chai spice mix.
- Water: Adds the liquid component.
- Dark brown sugar: I used brown sugar because I like the molasses flavor, but you could also use white sugar or light brown sugar.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil on high heat. Turn off the heat and add tea bags.
Step 2: Add brown sugar. Simmer on low heat for 1-2 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
Ways To Use Chai Simple Syrup
- Tea: Earl Grey tea (my latest favorite), English Breakfast tea, or black tea
- Dirty Chai Latte (shot of espresso or coffee and black tea with chai spices) or chai tea latte
- Pancakes or waffles - in place of maple syrup
- Sorbet or ice cream
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This easy simple syrup recipe couldn't be any easier. It's made using chai tea bags, sugar, and water.
I like to use a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. For this chai simple syrup, I added chai tea for the chai flavor.
This chai simple syrup recipe will last up to two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge. You could make extra and freeze it in ice cube trays so that you always have some chai simple syrup ice cubes on hand.
Chai Simple Syrup
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat and steep tea bags 4-6 minutes. Discard tea bags.
- Add brown sugar. Turn heat back on to low. Heat 1-2 minutes, until sugar is dissolved.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.