This rich smooth Cold Brew Cacao Coffee has a subtle dark chocolate flavor. It is less acidic than brewed coffee.
I have been drinking cold brew coffee for quite a few years. It has less acidity than hot brewed coffee.
Since it takes 18-24 hours, you need to make sure you make enough for the next day. (So if you have company coming, make sure to brew a pot ahead of time.)
I make a pitcher that holds 7 cups, which lasts anywhere from a few days to a week.
What Do Cacao Nibs Taste Like?
If you have never had them before, they have a bitter chocolaty flavor. Cacao nibs are pieces of roasted cacao bean and have no sugar.
This Cold Brew Cacao Coffee has a bitter dark chocolate flavor. You can add sweetener as you would coffee. I like to add vegan creamer.
Do Cacao Nibs Have Caffeine?
Cacao nibs do have caffeine. According to the Navitas website, cacao has 41 mg of caffeine per 3 tablespoons of cacao nibs. In comparison brewed coffee has 80-135 mg of caffeine.This rich smooth Cold Brew Cacao Coffee has a subtle dark chocolate flavor. It is less acidic than brewed coffee. Click To Tweet
How to Use Cacao Nibs in Coffee
To get a subtle dark chocolate flavored coffee, grind cacao nibs coarsely and combine them with coarsely ground coffee beans when making cold brew coffee.
Can I Use Cacao Powder?
No. You can add cacao powder (or cocoa powder) to a regular coffee maker, but not cold brew. Cold brew coffee needs coarsely ground coffee beans and cacao nibs.
I tried this recipe with cacao powder and it was unsuccessful.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Coffee beans: By grinding the beans yourself you can control the size of the grind to make cold brew coffee. Use whatever your favorite roast is.
- Cacao nibs: Add a bitter chocolaty flavor.
How to Make This Recipe
- Coarsely grind coffee beans and cacao nibs. Place in a cold brew coffee maker or large mason jar with water. If you have a fine mesh bag, place grounds in that.
- Otherwise, you can place grounds directly in the jar and strain it out after brewing.
- Brew grounds for 24 hours and strain out grounds. Add sweetener and almond milk, or however you like your coffee.
Other Coffee Recipes
- Cold Brew Thai Iced Coffee
- Vegan Coffee Ice Cream
- Mocha Almond Overnight Oats
- Vegan Bulletproof Coffee
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Cold Brew Cacao Coffee
- 1 ½ cups coffee beans coarsely ground
- ½ cup cacao nibs coarsely ground
- 7 cups water
- Combine coffee grounds, cacao grounds, and water in a cold brew coffee maker or large jar. Let steep in refrigerator or on countertop for 18-24 hours.
- Discard coffee and cacao grounds. If using a jar, pour coffee grounds and cacao nibs through fine mesh bag or cheesecloth into another jar.
- Add plant based milk and sweetener, if desired.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.