This Homemade Cherry Shrub Syrup Recipe is tangy and refreshing. It lasts for months, so it's perfect for surprise guests.
This Homemade Cherry Shrub Syrup Recipe is the perfect addition to club soda for a refreshing fizzy drink.
It goes well in cocktails, kombucha, or lemonade. You can also add it to salad dressings.
You can use fresh or frozen cherries, so you can have it any time of the year. It is the perfect addition to your home bar.
It is a great substitute for black cherry soda. Add it to your favorite fizzy water or mix it in a cocktail.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is tangy and refreshing.
- It is simple and easy to make.
- It's perfect for having on hand for surprise guests because it has a long shelf life.
- You can use fresh or frozen cherries, so you can have it even if it is not cherry season.
What is a Shrub In a Drink?
A shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with equal parts fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The fruit syrup can be added to mixed drinks or soda water.
- Cherries: I used sweet dark cherries. You can use fresh or frozen cherries. You could also use sour cherries. I used frozen sweet cherries because I always have them on hand for chocolate protein powder smoothies.
- Sugar: I used organic cane sugar.
- Raw apple cider vinegar: I used raw organic apple cider vinegar, but you could also use rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or red wine vinegar.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Fresh herbs: thyme, mint, lavender, basil
- Spices: cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, nutmeg, clove, allspice,
- Other fresh fruit
- Lime juice and lime zest
- Vanilla bean
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add cherries and sugar into a bowl.
Step 2: Muddle cherries or mash with a fork.
Step 4: Let the mixture sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
Step 5: The next day strain the cherries with a fine mesh strainer.
Step 6: Add apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until the sugar is dissolved. Store in the refrigerator.
How to Use a Shrub
Mix a few tablespoonfuls of this cherry shrub syrup recipe with some maple syrup into club soda, sparkling water, mineral water, lemonade, or your favorite liquor. It also works well in kombucha.
This cherry shrub recipe will last 6 months in a large glass mason jar or airtight container in the fridge.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
A fruit shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with a combination of fresh fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The fruit syrup can be added to mixed drinks or soda water.
This cherry shrub is sweet and tangy.
🍓 Other Fruit Shrub Recipes
If you tried this Homemade Cherry Shrub Syrup Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Homemade Cherry Shrub Syrup Recipe
- In a bowl combine cherries and sugar. Mash with a fork. Let sit 24 hours in the fridge. You can let it sit up to 3 days.
- Strain the cherry mixture with a fine mesh strainer. Add apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.