These crispy Cornmeal Breaded Asparagus Fries are healthy and addictive! They are served with an amazing Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo.
I love it when spring rolls around because one of my favorite vegetables is in season - asparagus. I can easily eat half of a bunch in one sitting, no joke.
Normally, I like to eat my asparagus with an Asian sauce. I'll have to post that recipe before the asparagus season is over.
Today, I wanted to post a recipe that is a little more fun - Cornmeal Breaded Asparagus Fries. What could be more fun than turning a vegetable into fries, right?
Lemon and asparagus are great friends, so I knew that I wanted to pair them together. Not only did I use lemon juice, but I used lemon zest as well.
If you have never used lemon zest, it is like lemon juice on steroids. It has a really strong lemon flavor.
One way to elevate mayo is to add ingredients to it, like lemon and garlic. Just by adding a couple of things, it takes mayo to a whole new level.
Even though I used raw garlic here, one of my favorite ingredients to add to mayo is roasted garlic. Roasted garlic isn't as pungent as raw, and it has a sweet, mild flavor. I've used it in my Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich. It makes a good dipping sauce too.
Another ingredient that I like to add to my vegan mayo is sriracha. Anything spicy, and I am all over it!
Even though I fry occasionally, I prefer to bake because it is healthier. To give these baked asparagus fries a crispy crunchy texture, I added cornmeal.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They are a fun, delicious way to eat asparagus.
- They are crunchy and flavorful.
- They are paired with a vegan lemon garlic mayo for a perfect balance of flavors.
- Cornmeal: Adds a crunchy coating.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You could also use store-bought vegan parmesan.
- Salt: Enhances flavors. I like to use sea salt.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened plain almond milk. You could use another plain unsweetened dairy-free milk.
- Asparagus: Look for plump, firm asparagus.
Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
- Vegan mayonnaise: I like Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart. Use your favorite vegan mayo.
- Lemon zest: Adds a strong concentrated lemon flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds a lemon flavor. You will need fresh lemons for this since you will be zesting the lemons. I don't recommend store-bought lemon juice anyway since it contains additives.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Snap off or cut the woody ends of the asparagus and discard them.
Step 2: Slice asparagus into the length of fries you want.
Step 3: In a long shallow container, mix cornmeal, nutritional yeast, and salt.
Step 4: In a separate long shallow container, pour almond milk.
Step 5: Dip asparagus into almond milk, then cornmeal mixture. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step 6: Bake until asparagus is cooked through.
Step 7: While the asparagus is baking, mix vegan lemon garlic mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
The ends of asparagus need to be cut off and discarded because they are woody and tough.
Other Vegan Baked Fries
These asparagus fries are coated in cornmeal and baked. They are so good you may find yourself eating half of them all in one sitting!
If you tried this Cornmeal Breaded Asparagus Fries Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Cornmeal Breaded Asparagus Fries with Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Snap or cut off woody asparagus ends. Then cut into the length of fries you want.
- Mix cornmeal, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Set up two shallow containers: one with cornmeal mixture and another with almond milk. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Dip asparagus into almond milk, then cornmeal mixture. Put on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the asparagus are coated. Bake at 450°F for 10-15 minutes, or until asparagus is cooked through.
Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
- While asparagus is cooking, mix vegan mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice, and minced garlic together. Set aside.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.