This sweet Mushroom Hot Cocoa has added health benefits from mushroom powder, but you would never know it!
Recently, I have been adding performance mushroom powder to my morning coffee. You can't taste it at all, and I love the health benefits it adds.
So I thought I would create a hot cocoa recipe using mushrooms. You would never know there's mushroom powder in it.
This vegan hot cocoa tastes like any other, but with the added benefits of mushrooms. It's also good in a Smoothie Booster.
Another hot cocoa to try is my Spiced Hot Cocoa. It is rich and creamy with warming spices.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Unsweetened almond milk: I used unsweetened because I like to control the amount of sugar. You could use any dairy-free milk.
- Cacao powder: I love raw cacao powder for the rich chocolate flavor, but you could also use cocoa powder.
- Mushroom powder: I used a blend of mushroom powders, but you could use a single variety.
- Maple syrup: Adds a sweet maple flavor. You could also use agave syrup or your favorite sweetener.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Cinnamon: Adds a warm spice flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Bring cacao powder, mushroom powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and almond milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until the cacao and mushroom powder is dissolved.
- Whipped coconut cream
- Store-bought vegan whipped cream
- Grated chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Cinnamon stick
- Pinch of cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
After the prepared hot cocoa cools, place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
☕️ Other Vegan Drinks
This vegan hot cocoa is a sweet treat while being healthy at the same time.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Mushroom Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons mushroom powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch cinnamon
- Bring cacao powder, mushroom powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and almond milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until the cacao and mushroom powder is dissolved.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Can you feel any mushroom flavor in the hot cocoa?
can't wait to try!
Willow Moon says
Hi Becky, no you can't taste the mushroom powder. You would never know there's mushroom powder in it!
I'm accumulating these ingredients to try this recipe or small variation on it. Can you confirm that you really meant 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract? That seems super high to me.
Willow Moon says
You're right, thanks Kris! It was supposed to be 1 teaspoon. I miswrote it when I transferred it from paper to computer.