Give yourself a boost of nutrients with this Superfood Coffee. Made with cacao powder, mushroom powder, maca powder, and spices.
This flavorful Superfood Coffee will help jumpstart your day. You get the added benefits of mushroom powder, maca, and cacao, in your coffee.
It tastes great and you'd never know it is nutrient-rich!
What Is Gelatinized Maca?
Gelatinized maca powder is maca that has been heated and pressurized to break down the starch content. Basically, it helps make maca easier to digest*.
No, it does not contain gelatin! Maca is a vegan product.
Is Maca Safe?
As with anything you put into your body, you may want to do your research. While maca does not contain any hormone compounds, it has been shown to boost estrogen and balance hormone levels.
So while it may be beneficial for women going through menopause or who have PMS, it should be used with caution for people with hormone-sensitive conditions. It can also affect people with thyroid issues*.
- Coffee: I used cold brew coffee because it is less acidic. You could also use espresso shots or regular brewed coffee.
- Maca: I love the taste of maca. You could leave it out.
- Mushroom powder: I used a mushroom blend. You could also use an individual mushroom powder.
- Cacao powder (or cocoa powder): Adds a chocolate flavor.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could use your favorite sweetener.
- Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg: Add warm spice flavor.
- Soy milk: You can use any dairy-free milk you like.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Coconut milk
- Oat milk, almond milk, or cashew milk
- Vanilla Creamer with Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- Ground turmeric
- Chai spice mix or a Chai Simple Syrup recipe
- Ground ginger
- Simple Syrup with Vanilla or vanilla extract
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Pour hot coffee into a mug. Pour maca powder, mushroom powder, cacao powder, maple syrup, and spices into the mug. Whisk with a fork so that powders blend in.
Step 2: Froth soy milk. If you don't have a milk frother you can blend it in a high speed blender, or shake it in a mason jar with a secure lid with a towel over it.
Step 3: Pour soy milk over coffee. Spoon foam on top.
- Do NOT use a Nutribullet to blend hot soy milk. It doesn't do well with hot liquids.
- I used soy milk because it froths nicely. You can use any plant-based milk you like.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
A superfood blend consists of nutrient-dense powders like maca, cacao powder, mushroom powder, and matcha green powder.
Mix it into smoothies, this coffee recipe, or a Chocolate Kombucha Recipe with Superfood Powder.
- Pour hot coffee into a mug. Add maca, mushroom powder, cacao powder, maple syrup, and spices. Whisk with a fork so that powders mix in.
- Froth soy milk. If you don't have a milk frother you can mix the soy milk in a blender* or shake it in mason jar with a secure lid and towel over the top.
- Pour soy milk over coffee. Spoon foam on top.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
**Important! If you are gluten free you may want to avoid coffee altogether. I personally have never had a problem drinking it, and I have a gluten intolerance. It is probably because I drink whole bean organic coffee, and grind it myself. I learned that it can be problematic for people who don't tolerate gluten. So I did some research and one article mentioned to try organic whole bean coffee because it isn't highly processed causing cross-reactivity issues. So please do the research yourself, and test it out. I try to only post recipes that are 100% gluten free since I have a gluten intolerance. I am really careful about avoiding gluten in my daily life.