These spooky Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs have a secret ingredient that they are wrapped in. They are perfect for Halloween!
One goal that I have been working on is posting holiday recipes in a timely manner. In the past I had good intentions about posting recipes on time, but only followed through some of the time. I used to wait until the last minute, and either the recipe didn’t work out or I got too busy to get it done on time.
Case in point: I made these Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs last year, but with slightly different ingredients. They didn’t turn out the way I wanted and I ran out of time to fix the recipe. This year, I made these in August so that if they didn’t work out, I would have plenty of time to redo them.
I am sure you have seen mummy dogs before, either on Pinterest or the internet. Most of the recipes call for crescent roll dough. I wanted to make some that are vegan, gluten free, and just as easy as the recipes that are made with wheat ingredients.
The Secret Ingredient
Can you tell from the photos what I used to wrap the mummys? The secret ingredient to make these mummy dogs is rice paper spring roll wrappers! I personally think they look a lot more like the linen used to wrap mummies than crescent roll dough.
Anyway, they are fun and festive. If I had kids, I would make these with them. They are really easy to make, especially once you are accustomed to working with spring roll wrappers.
With or without kids, I like to play with my food. An example would be my Stuffed Date Footballs or my Vegan Pizza Football Cheese Ball. I just need to make the time to do it more. Playing with food can be time consuming!
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love seeing all the costumes kids parade in, especially the homemade ones. My neighborhood is usually pretty busy with trick-or-treaters.
My neighbors who used to live across the street would go all out for Halloween. One year they even rented a storage trailer and decorated it as a haunted house. I think we still get a lot of trick-or-treaters because people expect them to be there with a decked out yard.
Whether you are throwing a Halloween bash, or you want something festive to make with the kiddies, these Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs are a quick and easy meal.These spooky Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs have a secret ingredient that they are wrapped in! Click To Tweet
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs
- 2 rice paper spring roll wrappers
- 2 vegan hot dogs – I used jumbo size
- Ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo to serve
- Cook vegan hot dogs per instructions (boil, grill, or microwave).
- Heat some water in a pan on the stove, or in the microwave to the point that it is hot but you can still dip your fingers in it. Pour the hot water into a large shallow container.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper wrapper in the hot water. Using a scissors or knife, cut the rice paper into thin strips.*
- Take one strip and wrap a vegan hot dog. Repeat with the rest of the strips, rewetting them if necessary.
- Repeat with the other sheet of rice paper and vegan hot dog.
- Using mustard or ketchup, make eyes using a toothpick. Reheat vegan hot dogs in the microwave if necessary.
*Note: You can also cut the strips before placing them in the water, but they crack easier that way.