These spooky Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs have a secret ingredient that they are wrapped in. They are perfect for Halloween!
Whether you are throwing a Halloween bash, or you want something festive to make with the kiddies, these Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs are a quick and easy meal.
Can you tell from the photos what I used to wrap the mummys? The secret ingredient to make these mummy dogs is rice paper spring roll wrappers! I think they look a lot like the linen used to wrap mummies in.
They are fun and festive. If I had kids, I would make these with them. They are really easy to make, especially once you are accustomed to working with spring roll wrappers.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Vegan hot dogs: I used jumbo sized hot dogs, but you could use any size vegan hot dogs.
- Rice paper spring roll wrappers: You could use white or brown rice spring roll wrappers.
- Ketchup and mustard: For the eyes and dipping. Finely cut black olives and mayo would also work well for eyes.
- Cook vegan hot dogs per directions. I microwaved mine because it is quick and easy.
- In a saucepan heat some water (or microwave it). You don't want it so hot you can't dip your fingers in it.
- Pour water in a shallow dish that can fit the spring roll wrappers.
- One by dip, dip each spring roll wrapper into the water until it is pliable. Lay flat on a cutting board.
- Cut the wrapper with a scissors or knife into long strips lengthwise. You can also try cutting the wrapper before placing it in the water, but I found that they crack easily when doing it that way.
- Wrap the strips around each hot dog, rewetting them if they start to get too sticky. The wrapper will stick to itself and stay put.
- Using a toothpick make the eyes with mustard and ketchup.
For spring roll wrappers, it is best to make them right before serving. If you need to make them ahead of time you could wrap them individually in plastic wrap to prevent the hot dogs from sticking to each other and tearing the spring roll wrapper. Then they should last a couple of days.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Black olives and vegan mayo for the eyes
- Vegan cheese for the eyes
- Vegan puff pastry or crescent roll dough
Add this recipe to your vegan Halloween menu and watch the kid's faces light up with delight!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need
Vegan Gluten Free Mummy Dogs
- Cook vegan hot dogs per instructions (boil, grill, or microwave).
- Heat some water in a pan on the stove, or in the microwave to the point that it is hot but you can still dip your fingers in it. Pour the hot water into a large shallow container.
- Dip a sheet of rice paper wrapper in the hot water to make it pliable. Using a scissors or knife, cut the rice paper into thin strips.*
- Take one strip and wrap a vegan hot dog. Repeat with the rest of the strips, rewetting them if necessary.
- Repeat with the other sheet of rice paper and vegan hot dog.
- Using mustard or ketchup, make eyes using a toothpick. Reheat vegan hot dogs in the microwave if necessary.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.