This creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta has all the flavors of fall. Made with fresh sage and thyme, it's sure to become a hit!
This Vegan Pumpkin Pasta reminds me of fall and more specifically, Thanksgiving. It has fresh sage and thyme, which just happen to be in my vegan stuffing recipe (which I'll be posting soon).
It is creamy and comforting - all the things you want in a pasta in my opinion. For this recipe I used chickpea pasta, which adds a bit of protein. Aside from the fresh herbs, the ingredients are all you probably have in your pantry.This creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta has all the flavors of fall. Made with fresh sage and thyme, it's sure to become a hit! Click To Tweet
What Type of Pasta Can I Use?
The best types of pasta for this dish is anything that can hold a thick creamy sauce.
- rigatoni (used in this recipe)
Examples of what not to use: spaghetti, angel hair, capellini, spaghettini - these are better with a light sauce. You don't want them to get weighted down.
What's The Best Gluten-Free Pasta?
I've tried many different vegan gluten-free pastas: cauliflower, black bean, lentil, chickpea, brown rice, and a combination of ingredients.
My favorites so far are chickpea pasta (used in this recipe) and brown rice pasta. Both have a neutral flavor, which is preferable when you are making a flavorful sauce that you don't want the pasta detracting from.
Pastas like black bean are great for a Southwest or Mexican flavor profile. Add in tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, corn to compliment the black bean flavors.
How to Make This Recipe
- Make pasta according to directions. Drain water and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme. Cook 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Cook until sauce thickens and add pasta. Thoroughly coat pasta.
Whether you serve this as the main dish or the side dish, it's sure to please!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme. Cook 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in pasta until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.