This creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta has all the flavors of fall. Made in 30 minutes with fresh sage and thyme, it's sure to become a hit!
This Vegan Pumpkin Pasta reminds me of fall and more specifically, Thanksgiving. It has fresh sage and thyme, which just happen to be in my Vegan Stuffing Recipe.
It is creamy and comforting - all the things you want in a pasta in my opinion. For this recipe I used chickpea pasta, which adds a bit of protein. Aside from the fresh herbs, the ingredients are all you probably have in your pantry.
You can have it on the table in 30 minutes, making it perfect for a weeknight.
Another pasta recipe to try is my Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta.
What Type of Pasta Can I Use?
The best types of pasta for this dish is anything that can hold a thick creamy sauce.
- rigatoni (used in this recipe)
Examples of what not to use: spaghetti, angel hair, capellini, spaghettini - these are better with a light sauce. You don't want them to get weighted down.
What's The Best Gluten-Free Pasta?
I've tried many different vegan gluten-free pastas: cauliflower, black bean, lentil, chickpea, brown rice, and a combination of ingredients.
My favorites so far are chickpea pasta (used in this recipe) and brown rice pasta. Both have a neutral flavor, which is preferable when you are making a flavorful sauce that you don't want the pasta detracting from.
Pastas like black bean are great for a Southwest or Mexican flavor profile. Add in tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, corn to compliment the black bean flavors.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Rigatoni pasta: I used chickpea pasta because I like the added protein. You could use your favorite.
- Olive oil: To cook the onions in.
- Onion: Adds a sweet, savory pungent flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Fresh sage leaves and thyme: Add a wonderful flavor. To me these fresh herbs remind me of Thanksgiving. They taste like fall!
- Canned pumpkin puree: For its creamy texture and savory flavor. Make sure it is not pumpkin pie filling! Pie filling has sugar and spices in it. You could also use butternut squash puree.
- Full fat coconut milk: Adds a subtle coconut flavor and creaminess.
- Freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg: Adds a warm spice flavor.
- Red pepper flakes: For a touch of spice. You could leave it out if you don't like things spicy.
- Vegetable broth: I used low sodium vegetable broth. It adds a salty veggie flavor and thins the pumpkin sauce.
- Salt and pepper: Balances out the flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Make pasta in a pot according to directions. Drain water and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme. Cook 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Cook until vegan pumpkin pasta sauce thickens and add pasta. Thoroughly coat pasta noodles.
This pasta recipe will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
Whether you serve this as the main dish or the side dish, it's sure to please!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme. Cook 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in pasta until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply