This Mexican side dish is quick and easy. Roasted green chiles add spice to these savory Calabacitas.
Calabacitas are a very common dish here in Arizona, and I have seen it made many different ways. Usually it is made with cheese, which of course you won't see here on Create Mindfully.
This makes a great side dish. I used fresh roasted green chiles. If you cannot find fresh roasted, then you could use canned. I used yellow squash, but you could use zucchini as well.
This vegan calabacitas recipe is the perfect Mexican side dish.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion (¼ of an onion)
- 3 yellow squash or zucchini, chopped (5 cups)
- 1 cup roasted green chiles
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, halved
- Heat olive oil in pan and add onion. Cook for a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add squash and heat for about 5 minutes until squash starts to soften.
- Add roasted green chili, corn, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add plum tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes, until tomato is cooked through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.