These healthy Black Bean and Corn Tacos have a spicy black bean and corn filling. They are a quick and easy meal.
These Black Bean and Corn Tacos have onions, garlic, and taco spices. Corn balances out the savory and spicy notes with a sweet note.
Normally I use soft corn tortillas for tacos. Living in Tucson, Arizona, I've been exposed to and influenced by a lot of authentic Mexican cuisine.
Hard shell tacos are not authentic Mexican cuisine. They are an Americanized version of a taco.
That does not make them a bad thing though. Quite the contrary.
It's fun eating tacos with a crunchy taco shell. They are like eating tortilla chips with a spicy filling.
The black bean and corn mixture is sweet and spicy. It is really easy to make. It also tastes great on a Vegan Black Bean Taco Pizza.
I mashed about half of the black beans. That not only lets them soak up the spicy flavors, but it makes them easier to eat in a taco.
Serve them with some Vegan Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
- Onion: Adds a sweet, savory pungent flavor.
- Olive oil: For cooking the onion.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Black beans: I like black beans for the mild flavor. You could also use pinto beans or your favorite beans.
- Salsa: You could use homemade salsa, homemade mild pico de gallo, or your favorite.
- Spices: I used chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, Mexican oregano for the taco flavors. You could customize the spices to your liking.
- Corn: Adds a sweet flavor. You could also use bell pepper.
- Taco shells: I used hard corn taco shells when posting this. You could also use soft corn tortillas. Since posting this recipe I found out that I am corn intolerant. If you need corn-free taco shells, Siete has grain free taco shells.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add black beans, salsa, and spices. Cook until salsa cooks down, about 8-10 minutes. Mash about half the beans into the salsa mixture.
- Add corn and cook until heated through.
- Warm taco shells and fill with black bean mixture and toppings.
The black bean and corn mixture lasts about 5 days in the fridge. To keep the taco shells from getting soggy, it's best to make the tacos right before eating them.
These vegan tacos are an easy healthy meal. Top them with lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa, or add your favorite toppings. Guacamole or vegan sour cream would be a great addition.
Make extra and use some in a quesadilla, enchiladas, or on some vegan nachos.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Black Bean and Corn Tacos
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add black beans, salsa and all the spices. Cook until salsa cooks down, about 8-10 minutes. While it's cooking, mash about half the beans into the salsa mixture.
- Add corn and cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Warm taco shells according to instructions on pack. Pile bean and corn mixture into taco shells. Add salsa, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.