This Hummus Quesadilla with Caramelized Onions is a healthy alternative to a classic. Made with red pepper hummus, it is rich and flavorful.
This Hummus Quesadilla with Caramelized Onions is super easy to make, making it a perfect weeknight meal.
Caramelized onions elevate anything you add them to. They add a rich, sweet flavor.
Combine caramelized onions with roasted red pepper hummus and cherry tomatoes on a tortilla, and you have a winning combination.
How To Make This Recipe
- Slice onions about ⅛" thick.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions. Season with salt.
- They will soften up as they cook. It will take a good 35-40 minutes.
- If they take start to stick add a little water. I like to add about a quarter of a cup at a time.
- Balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful flavor. Add a couple of splashes near the end of the cooking time. Alternatively you can add a couple of pinches of sugar or brown sugar.
- On a tortilla, spread roasted red pepper hummus.
- Layer caramelized onions and tomatoes.
- Top with the other tortilla.
- Place in a skillet and cook on medium heat until starting to brown. Flip and cook other side.
- Remove from the skillet and slice.
This Hummus Quesadilla with Caramelized Onions is a healthy alternative to a classic. Made with red pepper hummus, it is rich and flavorful. Click To Tweet
Other Vegan Mexican Recipes
Variations / Additions
- Roasted peppers or other roasted veggies
- Kale, spinach or other greens
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Basil Pesto Hummus
How Long Does It Last?
I recommend making this roasted red pepper hummus quesadilla right before you eat it. The individual components (caramelized onions, roasted red pepper hummus) will last up to 5 days in airtight containers in the fridge.
This vegan quesadilla with rich caramelized onions and savory roasted red pepper hummus has the perfect balance of flavors.
I originally posted this recipe February 26, 2016. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
*If you love this recipe, please come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Hummus Quesadilla with Caramelized Onions
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan at medium heat and add sliced onion. Stir the onion until it is coated with oil. Add salt.
- Stir the onions every five minutes or so. Cooking will take about 35-40 minutes.
- Add a small amount of vinegar to deglaze the pan and cook a couple more minutes.
- Spread roasted red pepper hummus on a tortilla, add sliced tomato and caramelized onion.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add tortillas with filling. Cook until golden brown. Then, flip and cook other side.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.