These easy Refried Bean Tacos are a simple healthy meal. The refried beans are doctored up with spices for a flavorful filling.
For these Refried Bean Tacos, I enhanced the refried beans with sautéed onions, diced tomatoes, and spices. No one can say these refried beans are lacking in flavor!
It's totally worth taking a few extra minutes to add the ingredients to the beans. They not only taste better, but they have a better consistency as well.
After making this recipe, you won't want refried beans from a can again. Add the mixture to vegan quesadillas, tostadas, or a Mexican pizza.
They also make a great side dish to Vegan Green Corn Tamales.
Make these vegan tacos however you desire. I ate mine with salsa, chopped Romaine lettuce, sliced Kalamata olives, and shredded vegan cheddar.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Onion: Adds a sweet pungent flavor. I used a yellow onion. You could also use a white onion, red onion, or green onions.
- Olive oil: To cook the onions and garlic.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Refried beans: I used pinto refried beans. You could also use black refried beans.
- Canned diced tomatoes: I used canned but you could also use fresh tomatoes.
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, Mexican oregano: Adds warming spicy taco flavors. You could also use taco seasoning.
- Vegan cheddar cheese: I
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Taco shells: I used hard taco shells but you could also use soft tortillas.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Cook onion in olive oil until translucent. Then, you add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Next come canned diced tomatoes, spices, and vegan cheddar. Cook until heated through.
- Pile doctored up refried bean mixture into heated taco shells along with your favorite taco ingredients. I used lettuce, Kalamata olives, vegan cheddar, and salsa.
The refried beans will last about 4 days. If you don't think you'll eat them up in that time, you can freeze them in a freezer bag for 1-2 months.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Vegan sour cream
- Salsa (restaurant style), salsa verde, or Salsa fresca
- Pickled peppers and onions
- Hot sauce
- Sliced avocado
🌮 Other Vegan Taco Recipes
These Refried Bean Tacos are an easy meal for taco night!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
Refried Bean Tacos
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 16 ounces vegetarian refried beans
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed
- ¼ cup shredded vegan cheddar optional
- Salt and pepper
- 8 taco shells
- Chopped lettuce
- Shredded vegan cheddar
- Kalamata olives
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add refried beans, diced tomatoes, and all the spices. Cook until heated through. Add vegan cheddar. Mix thoroughly so it melts into beans.
- Heat taco shells as per instructions on package. Pile in refried bean mixture, salsa, lettuce, vegan cheddar, and Kalamata olives.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply