This spicy Mexican Cauliflower Rice goes well in a burrito or as a compliment to a Mexican inspired meal.
For some reason I am not the biggest fan of making rice. Maybe it's because it's faster to make quinoa, which I am a big fan of with its high protein content.
Or perhaps it's because I always make a large batch of rice when I do make it, and it seems to last a little too long.
Besides quinoa, I love using cauliflower in place of rice. I get more vegetable servings and less carbs. So instead of making Mexican rice, I decided to make Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
This is really easy to throw together, and even easier if you buy a bag of frozen pre chopped cauliflower rice. Of course after I made this, I discovered that you can purchase the pre chopped variety.
I now keep some in my freezer to have around for whenever I make something that goes with rice.
I love spicy food, so I used a serrano pepper in this. If you don't want as much heat you could use less serrano, or you could take out the seeds and the vein.
You could also replace the serrano with a jalapeño, which is a milder pepper.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Cauliflower: You can use fresh cauliflower that you rice yourself, or store-bought frozen riced cauliflower.
- Olive oil: To cook the onions. Adds flavor.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion for its sweet flavor. You could also use a white onion.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Serrano pepper: This pepper packs a lot of heat in a small package. For a milder salsa, leave out the seeds and veins or use a jalapeño pepper.
- Tomato paste: Adds a strong tomato flavor.
- Cilantro: Adds a fresh citrus taste. I know for some people it tastes like soap. If that's the case for you, leave it out or use fresh parsley instead.
- Salt and pepper: To enhance the flavors. Adds flavor.
- Fresh lime juice: For some acidity. Balances the flavors and adds a bright note.
How To Make This Recipe
- If using fresh cauliflower, place it in a food processor. Pulse until it has a consistency of rice.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and chopped serrano pepper. Cook a minute longer.
- Add cauliflower rice, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cook until tender.
How Long Does It Last?
This recipe will last 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Variations / Additions
- spices: cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika
- tomato sauce
- red bell pepper or green bell pepper
- Use store-bought cauliflower rice to make things easier and less messy.
- Use a jalapeño for less spice or take out the seeds and membrane from serrano pepper (that's where a lot of the spice is).
Ways To Serve
This vegan cauliflower rice with Mexican flavors is the perfect healthy low carb side dish!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower approx. 8 cups, cut into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- cilantro chopped
- Put ½ the cauliflower in food processor and pulse until it resembles a rice consistency. Do the same with the other half.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion. Cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and serrano pepper. Cook another minute longer.
- Add cauliflower, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and limes.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.