This refreshing Homemade Blueberry Shrub Syrup Recipe elevates a mixed drink. Add it to club soda or water for a thirst quencher.
For those of you who entertain a lot, this Homemade Blueberry Shrub Syrup Recipe is for you.
Not only does it add flavor to a mixed drink, but you can add it to club soda for a fruity-flavored soda that you can have at any time.
It lasts in the fridge for months, so if you have surprise guests, you can whip up a drink in no time.
I like to add this berry syrup to Homemade Kombucha. It would taste great in lemonade or salad dressing as well.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is light and refreshing.
- It has a tart sweet taste that mellows as the shrub ages.
- It makes the perfect non-alcoholic drink.
What is a Shrub In a Drink?
A shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with a combination of fresh fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The fruit syrup can be added to mixed drinks or soda water.
Fruit shrubs make great gifts because they last so long.
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries taste great in a shrub, but you can use strawberries like I did for my Strawberry Shrub recipe, blackberries, raspberries, or whatever fresh berries you want.
- White sugar: It wouldn't be a blueberry shrub recipe without sugar! I used cane sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar: I used raw apple cider vinegar because I always have it on hand. You could also use rice vinegar or red wine vinegar.
To see the full recipe with measurements and instructions go to the bottom of the page.
🍓 Variations / Additions
- Other berries or a combination of berries, as I did with my Mixed Berry Shrub
- Combination of fruit
- Herbs: rosemary, mint, basil, thyme, lavender
- Spices: cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, ginger root
- Citrus: lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add fresh or frozen blueberries to a medium bowl.
Step 2: Add sugar.
Step 3: Smush the whole blueberries with a fork.
Step 4: Let it sit for 24 hours.
Step 5: Strain and add apple cider vinegar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the vinegar mixture into a clean jar and cover with a lid.
Use right away, or wait a week or two and the flavors will meld together and mellow more.
How to Use a Shrub
Mix a tablespoon to a few tablespoonfuls of this blueberry shrub syrup with club soda, sparkling water, seltzer water, or another carbonated water.
You can mix it with your favorite liquor or in your favorite cocktail recipe.
Make a blueberry shrub cocktail with white rum, gin, tequila, or vodka. Another great way to use it is with ginger ale or homemade kombucha.
This cold process shrub will last for about 6 months in a glass jar in the fridge.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
A fruit shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with a combination of fresh fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The fruit syrup can be added to mixed drinks or soda water.
This blueberry shrub is sweet and tangy.
- In a bowl combine blueberries and sugar. Mash with a fork. Let sit 24 hours in the fridge. You can let it sit up to 3 days.
- Strain the blueberry mixture. Add apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.