This refreshing Blueberry Shrub elevates a mixed drink. Add it to club soda or water for a thirst quencher.
For those of you who entertain a lot, this Blueberry Shrub is for you. Not only does it add flavor to a mixed drink, but you can add it to club soda for a fruity flavored soda that you can have anytime.
It lasts in the fridge for months, so if you have surprise guests, you can whip up a drink in no time.
I like to add it to Homemade Kombucha. It would taste great in lemonade as well.
Some of the lemonade recipes I've made are Vanilla Lemonade, Lavender Lemonade, and Coconut Lemonade.
What is a Shrub In a Drink?
A shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with a combination of fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The fruit syrup can be added to mixed drinks or soda water.
This is an overview of the ingredients. For the full recipe with measurements and instructions go to the bottom of the page.
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries taste great in a shrub, but you can use strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or whatever berries you want.
- Sugar: It wouldn't be a blueberry shrub recipe without sugar!
- Apple cider vinegar: Here I used apple cider vinegar because I always have it on hand. You could also use rice vinegar or red wine vinegar.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Smush blueberries with sugar in a bowl. Let it sit 24 hours.
Step 2: Strain and add apple cider vinegar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a clean jar and cover with a lid.
Use right away, or wait a week or two and the flavors will meld together and mellow more.
How to Use a Shrub
Mix a tablespoon to a few tablespoonfuls of this blueberry shrub syrup with club soda or mixed with your favorite liquor. It would work well with rum, gin, tequila, or vodka.
You can also add it to homemade kombucha.
This cold process shrub will last for about 6 months in a glass jar in the fridge.
🍓 Variations / Additions
- Other berries
- Herbs: rosemary, mint, basil, thyme, lavender
- Spices: cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, ginger root
- Citrus: lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit
🥃 Other Shrub Recipes
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Mash blueberries with sugar. Let sit 24 hours in the fridge. You can let it sit up to 3 days.
- Strain the blueberry mixture. Add apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply