This Mixed Berry Shrub is the perfect addition to a well-stocked bar. Add to club soda for a flavorful mocktail.
If you have never had a shrub mixed into a cocktail or water, you are in for a treat. Shrubs add a sweet, tart flavor to a drink. The result is a refreshing cocktail.
They are perfect for people who entertain a lot or who get a lot of unexpected guests. You can whip up a drink in no time when you have a shrub and some club soda.
They also taste great in Homemade Kombucha.
What is a Shrub?
A shrub is a concentrated syrup that is made with a combination of fruit, sugar, and vinegar. The syrup can be added to mixed drinks or club soda.
- Mixed berries: I used frozen berries. You could use either fresh or frozen. Another great way to use frozen berries is in a frozen berry overnight oats recipe.
- Sugar: I used white sugar because that's a key ingredient in a shrub.
- Vinegar: I used apple cider vinegar but you could also use rice vinegar or red wine vinegar.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Smush mixed berries with sugar in a bowl. Let it sit 24 hours.
Step 2: Strain and add apple cider vinegar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
Use right away, or wait a week or two and the flavors will meld together and mellow more.
How to Use a Shrub
Mix a tablespoon to a few tablespoonfuls of this mixed berry shrub with club soda or mixed with your favorite liquor. You can also add it to homemade kombucha.
This cold processed shrub will last for about 6 months in an air tight container in the fridge.
Mixed Berry Shrub
- Mash berries with sugar. Let sit 24 hours in the fridge. You can let it sit up to 3 days.
- Strain the berry mixture. Add apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.