This indulgent vegan Eggplant Lasagna has a homemade tomato sauce with red pepper, homemade tofu ricotta, and grilled eggplant.
A friend recently gave me a bunch of produce, including a beautiful eggplant that was just begging to be made into a recipe. Also included in the produce was a gorgeous red pepper, so I knew that I had to make a recipe using both.
I have had some gluten free lasagna noodles in my pantry for awhile now, and I thought it was about time to make a recipe with them. This vegan Eggplant Lasagna is the result.
I know lasagna can be a daunting task, but you do not have to do every step in this recipe. I personally think it will taste better, but if you are pressed for time, I can understand.
I made my own tomato sauce with some wonderful ingredients, including the beautiful red pepper that I mentioned earlier. If you are short on time, you could buy your favorite marinara sauce.
I also made a homemade tofu ricotta, which I would definitely make, because I think it really helps make this lasagna, but again, if you can't fit it into your schedule, there are store bought vegan ricotta cheeses that would work too.
To make things easier for me, I made the tomato sauce and the tofu ricotta the day before. I do that sometimes - make a recipe in steps. Since I have to do a photo shoot with the meals that I make, I like to make things as easy as possible.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Baked Tofu Fries
- Spinach and Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- Tofu Frittata
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
How to Make This Recipe
- Cut off the ends of the eggplant and brush with olive oil
- Cook on a grill or grill pan until char marks appear.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Add chopped red pepper. Cook until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a 7 ½" x 9 ½" baking dish (or similar size), pour tomato sauce. Place three lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
- On top of the sauce, place eggplant.
- Spread tofu ricotta on top of eggplant.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, tomato sauce, eggplant, tofu ricotta,
- Finish with noodles and sauce.
- Bake in the oven covered for 60 minutes.
- Let lasagna rest about 10 minutes.
Can Lasagna Be Cooked Without Boiling?
This recipe uses no-boil lasagna noodles. It saves time and is less of a hassle.
How Long Does This Recipe Last?
This vegan lasagna will last 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Leftover Lasagna?
Yes! Let lasagna cool completely.
For individual portions, slice and wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bag or airtight container. Freeze up to 3 months.
Variations / Additions
- Shredded vegan mozzarella, vegan parmesan
- Store-bought marinara sauce
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, butternut squash, broccoli, or whatever veggies you like
- Vegan crumbles, beans, or walnuts (which I used in Zucchini Lasagna)
What could be more comforting than some vegan lasagna? No one will notice it's dairy free and gluten free.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I love these Pyrex baking dishes! I used a 7 ½" x 9 ½" baking dish for this recipe. It's great because it comes with a cover, so I can put it in the fridge.
- 4 slices of eggplant cut lengthwise that are ¼" thick
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz. fire roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- gluten free no boil lasagna noodles - I used rice noodles
- Tofu Ricotta (whole batch) or store bought vegan ricotta
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Eggplant: Cut off the skin and brush eggplant slices with olive oil and cook on a grill or grill pan until grill marks appear. Flip and grill the other side.
- Tomato Sauce: In a hot pan with olive oil cook chopped onion until translucent. Add finely chopped red pepper and cook until tender. Add tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lasagna: Put a small amount of olive oil in a 8x8, 9x9, or 7 ½ x 9 ½ casserole dish. Pour some of the tomato sauce mixture and spread all over pan. Place three lasagna noodles on top of sauce, overlapping if needed. On lasagna noodles spread more tomato sauce. On top of the sauce place grilled eggplant. On top of grilled eggplant, spread tofu ricotta.
- Repeat with another layer noodles, sauce, eggplant, tofu ricotta. Finish with noodles, and sauce. Bake at 350° covered for 1 hour, or until noodles are cooked through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.