This savory smoky ELT (Eggplant Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) Sandwich is a healthy take on the classic.
Even though I have made a Vegan BLAT with tofu bacon, and an ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Wrap, I had to try an ELT (Eggplant Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) Sandwich for something different.
Not to mention, I had four good sized eggplants that needed to be made into the star of of a recipe, but that's another story.
I made this ELT Sandwich with fried eggplant bacon, which is my preferred way of making it. In my recipe I also included how to bake it and dehydrate it.
It all depends on the consistency you want. Baking and dehydrating the eggplant leaves it crispy, whereas frying it leaves it chewy.
Don't expect the eggplant bacon to replace bacon. Think of it as a way to make eggplant more exciting.
With savory tamari, sweet maple syrup, and smoky liquid smoke, that's exactly what it becomes - more exciting.
If you've never had eggplant before, which I know several people who haven't, this is a great way to try it for the first time.
- Marinate the eggplant for at least 30 minutes to let it soak up the flavors.
- If you're baking it, you have to watch it - it burns easily.
- If you bake or dehydrate it, it will be crispy and last longer, like jerky. Store in an airtight container in the pantry.
- If you bake or dehydrate it, peel it for the best texture. If you are frying it, there's no need to peel it.
Other Eggplant Recipes
This Vegan BLT has the perfect balance of flavors. It is an easy lunch or weeknight meal.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
*Update since writing this: Thanks to a reader, the bread below is my new favorite bread. It is soft and fluffy like white bread.
It is Northern Bakehouse millet chia bread. I highly recommend it.
ELT (Eggplant Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) Sandwich
- 4 slices Eggplant Bacon
- 1 teaspoon vegan mayo
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 slices vine-ripened tomato
- 2 slices gluten free bread - I used brown rice
- Toast bread.
- Spread vegan mayo on a slice of bread. Layer eggplant bacon, lettuce, and tomato and top.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply