Bite into these crispy Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Breadsticks and you'll find a soft center with a creamy tofu ricotta filling.
Being gluten free for many years now, there are are certain foods that I really miss, like bagels and French bread. When I found Pamela's gluten free pizza mix several years ago and found that I could use it to make buns, I was a happy camper.
I've bought vegan gluten free buns before but they tasted no where near as good as Pamela's. I've used the pizza mix to make buns many times for my recipes, my latest being a BBQ Lentil Sandwich.
The savory calzones were my inspiration for these Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Breadsticks. It's probably been about ten years since I've had breadsticks, and they weren't stuffed. It's fun to bite into gluten free breadsticks that have a creamy filling inside, especially if you aren't expecting it.
I think I'll try the pizza mix for bagels next. I really miss bagels.
These Italian flavored gluten free breadsticks are just what you'd expect in a soft breadstick. They are soft and chewy on the inside, and crispy on the outside. The fun part is the "cheesy" creamy tofu ricotta filling.
I paired these vegan breadsticks with a sun-dried tomato dipping sauce that not only has sun-dried tomatoes but roasted tomatoes as well. If you're in a hurry, you could always use your favorite marinara sauce instead.
Other Appetizers You might Like
- Vegetable Fritters
- Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
- Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries with Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
- Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs
- Maple Chipotle Cashews
Bite into these crispy Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Breadsticks and you'll find a soft center with a creamy tofu ricotta filling. Click To Tweet
Tips for Making Stuffed Breadsticks
- Let the dough rise if you're using Pamela's pizza mix. It needs time to do its thing.
- Beware that this dough is very sticky. Use plastic wrap to cover it and oil your hands. It is worth the effort. Trust me.
- Don't overstuff the breadsticks. Spread the tofu ricotta in the center so that you have room to fold over the dough and seal it. You won't be able to tell where the tofu ricotta ends and the dough begins. If you don't get a proper seal, a little tofu ricotta may leak out, but they will still turn out great.
- All ovens are different. Check on the breadsticks after about 15 minutes. If they are still pale, check on them every few minutes after that.
Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Breadsticks
Serve these stuffed breadsticks with a Greek Salad with Tofu Feta or a Garden Salad with Herbed Croutons and Vegan Ranch Dressing. If you want a full blown Italian meal, serve them with Spaghetti with Vegan Meatballs.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I used Pamela's pizza mix to make the breadsticks. If you're vegan and gluten free like me, you're going to want to check it out. It's got a wonderful yeasty flavor.
Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Breadsticks
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Make pizza dough according to directions. Mix Italian seasoning into dough. If using Pamela's, let rise the recommended 1-2 hours.
- Sprinkle gluten free flour or cornmeal on cutting board (cornmeal will add some crunch). Roll out dough. If using Pamela's, it is very sticky so you may want to oil your hands and the rolling pin with olive oil. You could also cover the dough with plastic wrap and then roll it out.
- At about 2 ½ - 3" intervals, slice the dough. Spread tofu ricotta down the center of a strip, leaving room on the sides. Fold over the dough so that the sides meet. Roll into a breadstick. Slice the strip into 6" long pieces. It will be about ¾" thick. Repeat with the other strips.
- Place on an oiled parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce or marinara sauce.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results