This Pizza Popcorn combines two comfort food favorites. This movie night snack is made easy by making it in a paper bag in the microwave!
Pizza flavored popcorn, yes please! This Pizza Popcorn is a fun way to switch up everyone's favorite movie snack.
Sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and nutritional yeast, along with a touch of garlic and onion powder make up the pizza flavoring.
If you host movie night parties this vegan pizza popcorn recipe is a must-have on your menu! It is a perfect addition to a popcorn bar, where guests choose from a variety of popcorn toppings.
Another great way to use sun-dried tomatoes is a Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich or some Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus.
How to Make Popcorn in a Paper Bag
Did you know that you can pop popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave? Yup, you can.
It's not only cheaper, but you can control the ingredients. You just put the kernels in the bag, fold over the top a couple of times, and lay the bag down in the microwave.
Mine takes 3 minutes to pop, which is the same amount of time it takes for store-bought microwave popcorn.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Popcorn: I used popcorn kernels that I popped in a brown paper bag. You could also use microwave popcorn.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I used sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil so that it would stick to the popcorn. If you use dry sun dried tomatoes, you may want to add some olive oil or vegan butter.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You could also use vegan parmesan cheese or vegan cheddar cheese.
- Italian seasoning: Adds a pizza flavor. You could also use a blend of your favorite herbs and spices.
- Onion powder and garlic powder: Add a pungent flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Pour popcorn kernels into a clean brown paper bag. (Make sure it is microwave safe - without any ink or coating.)
Fold over the top a few times so that it stays shut. Lay the bag flat in the microwave. Microwave for 3 minutes, or for however long you normally microwave store-bought popcorn.
There's no need to add oil! You are just popping the kernels in the bag with nothing else.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix sun-dried tomatoes, sun-dried tomato oil, and herbs and spices. Add the popped popcorn and mix well.
I suggest eating this flavored popcorn right away because the oil will make the popcorn soggy. You can make the popcorn and pizza mixture ahead of time but keep them separate until ready to eat.
Store the popcorn in a paper bag in the pantry, and the pizza mixture in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last about 10 days stored separately.
- Taste seasoning before adding to the popcorn. You may want more or less of an ingredient.
- Add pizza topping right before serving, otherwise the popcorn will get soggy.
- To save money, pop your popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag: place popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, fold over the top a couple of times and lay flat in the microwave. Pop for 3 minutes (or for however long you normally pop microwave popcorn). No oil needed.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Spices: basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, or other Italian herbs.
- Red pepper flakes
- Tomato powder
Other Vegan Snacks
This vegan popcorn is truly addicting. Don't say I didn't warn you!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
- 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels (4 cups popped)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a lunch sized paper bag, add popcorn kernels and fold over the top of bag a couple of times. Lay flat in microwave. Pop 3 minutes in microwave, or whatever time you normally pop store-bought microwave popcorn. (No oil needed.) Or use store-bought and pop per directions.
- Mix together sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add to popcorn, mixing well.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply