This vegan Tarragon Tofu Salad is packed with flavor. Put in a sandwich or on a bed of lettuce. It has crunchy cashews and spicy mustard.
This Tarragon Tofu Salad was inspired by a recipe I found in a Wild Oats flyer years ago before Whole Foods bought it. The original recipe had chicken and regular mayonnaise. I veganized it and changed the ingredient amounts.
Tarragon adds a wonderful anise scent and flavor. In some recipes you can use either fresh or dried herbs. This is not one of them. Fresh is best.
Celery and cashews add crunch, and lemon juice and zest add brightness.
I recently went on vacation and took this with. The roasted cashews stayed crunchy for quite a few days.
Mix vegan mayo, mustard powder, mustard seeds, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Slice tofu into cubes (or mash) and add to the dressing.
Add cashew pieces, chopped celery, red onion, and tarragon. Eat as is, on a bed of lettuce, or in a sandwich.
If you let this sit overnight, the flavors will meld and taste even better the next day.
This recipe will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. I suggest adding it in a sandwich right before you want to eat it. If you want to make it in a sandwich ahead of time, I would do it the day before, but no longer.
Other Vegan Sandwiches
- Tofu Salad Sandwich
- Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Green Goddess Sandwich
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Bring this tofu salad to a potluck and watch it disappear!
*I originally posted this recipe June 12, 2015. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need
Tarragon Tofu Salad
- ½ cup vegan mayo - I used Vegenaise
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave syrup
- 14 oz. firm tofu drained
- 1 cup roasted cashew pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and pepper
- Mix vegan mayo, ground mustard, mustard seeds, lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Slice tofu into cubes (or mash) and add to the dressing. Add roasted cashews, chopped celery, red onion, and tarragon. Mix together.
- Serve on lettuce leaves, in a wrap or sandwich.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
This sounds amazing! This is a creative twist on Tofu Salad!