These easy flavorful Vegan Sloppy Joes are a healthy version of a childhood classic. Made with pantry staples and ready in under 30 minutes!
One thing I love about being a vegan food blogger is making veganized versions of classic recipes. There's a reason classic recipes are popular. They have just the right flavors and textures that hit the spot.
These Vegan Sloppy Joes are no exception. They are a veganized version of one of my childhood favorites done my way.These easy flavorful Vegan Sloppy Joes are a healthy version of a childhood classic. Made with pantry staples and ready in under 30 minutes! Click To Tweet
I used crumbled extra firm tofu for the protein because I love the flavor and texture. Tofu takes on any flavor you add to it, making it the perfect blank canvas.
To the tofu I combined tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard, and spices. I used red pepper because I prefer it over green pepper, but you could use either one.
For the buns I used some gluten free millet and chia buns. I was recently introduced to millet and chia bread, and immediately fell in love.
It's got a soft fluffy texture like white bread, which is a nice change of pace from the dense gluten free bread I have been eating.
I decided the millet and chia buns would pair nicely with the Vegan Sloppy Joes since they are so light.
When I made these healthy sloppy joes I found myself singing Adam Sandler's song, "Sloppy Joe, Slop-Sloppy Joe..." I dare you to not sing it while you're making this recipe. It's quite catchy.
Sloppy Joes Sides
Tips For Making Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Crumble the tofu before you add it to the onions instead of as the onions are cooking. It takes awhile to crumble and you don't want to overcook the onions.
- Cook the ingredients in the order given, but if you're unsure that you'll like an ingredient, or are unsure about the amount, start with less. You can always add more, but you can't take it away.
- Taste as you go, and add more of an ingredient if that's your preference.
- For the best bun to filling ratio, scoop out a little bread out of the top bun.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
These hearty Vegan Sloppy Joes are pure comfort food deliciousness! They are sure to become a family favorite.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here are the gluten free buns that I used. They are light and fluffy, unlike some dense gluten free buns I've had.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup chopped onion (½ medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 ounces extra firm or firm tofu crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups chopped red pepper (1 red pepper)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium gluten free tamari
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns -I used millet and chia
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add crumbled tofu. Cook about 5 minutes, until it's starting to brown.
- Add garlic and red pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, tamari, mustard, and spices. Cook for a few minutes, until sauce thickens.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.