These Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles are a great appetizer or meal. Serve with vegan sour cream and salsa.
Before these Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles, I have only had vegan taquitos once before, and that was because I made Bean Taquitos with Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce. You would think that living so close to Mexico, I would have had them before. Nope!
Well, I am glad that I ventured into new territory, because these are a great alternative to vegan nachos and vegan quesadillas. They are crispy, rich, and spicy – depending upon the green chiles you use, of course.These Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles are an easy appetizer or meal! Click To Tweet
I explained in my Bean Taquito recipe that the trick to making sure a corn tortilla doesn’t fall apart while rolling them is to use a pliable tortilla.
That can be accomplished one of two ways. You can moisten the tortilla in a wet paper towel in the microwave, or you can get the right kind of tortillas.
I just happen to live in Tucson, Arizona, where there are many stores that sell good tortillas. What you want to look for is a thin tortilla.
They can be hard to find. If you can’t find a good thin tortilla, all is not lost. It just takes a little more patience.
For the Bean Taquitos I baked them, but this time I decided to try the frying method. I have included both ways of making these Vegan Taquitos in the instructions.
If you want a richer taste, I would fry them. If you are looking for a healthier route, definitely consider baking them.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You May Enjoy
- Smothered Vegan Burritos
- Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
- Teriyaki Tofu and Pineapple Tostadas with Sriracha Hummus
How To Make Taquitos
- Warm tortillas to make them pliable. A microwave works fine.
- Spread vegan cream cheese on tortillas. Add vegan cheddar and green chiles. Roll tightly.
- For baking: place seam side down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake on each side until crispy.
- For frying: Place enough canola oil in pan for taquitos to fry in. Heat oil to 350°. If you don’t have a thermometer, place a wooden spoon in oil. If the oil bubbles around it, it’s ready. You can also place a couple of drops of water in. If they sizzle it’s ready.
- Fry until golden brown. Place on paper towels to soak up some of the oil.
Vegan Taquitos Recipe
These Vegan Taquitos are rich and spicy. Bake or fry them – whichever you prefer.
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles
- If baking, preheat oven to 350°.
- Wrap the tortillas in paper towels and microwave for 1-2 minutes to make the tortillas pliable, if needed.
- Spread vegan cream cheese on tortillas. Add grated vegan cheddar and roasted green chiles, and roll tightly.
- Baking method: Place seam side down on an oiled baking sheet or tinfoil. Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes on each side, or until crispy. Frying method: Heat canola oil to 350°. If you don't have a thermometer you can test the oil by dropping a couple of drops of water into oil. If it sizzles, it's ready. Place rolled tortillas seam side down and fry until golden brown. Flip until all sides are golden brown and crispy.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.