These Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles are a great appetizer or meal. Serve with vegan sour cream and salsa.
Before these Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles, I have only had vegan taquitos once before, and that was because I made refried bean taquitos. You would think that living so close to Mexico, I would have had them before. Nope!
Well, I am glad that I ventured into new territory, because these are a great alternative to Vegan Nachos and Vegan Quesadillas. They are crispy, rich, and spicy - depending upon the green chiles you use, of course.
The trick to making sure a corn tortilla doesn't fall apart while rolling them is to use a pliable tortilla.
That can be accomplished in one of two ways. You can moisten the tortilla in a wet paper towel in the microwave, or you can get the right kind of tortillas.
I just happen to live in Tucson, Arizona, where there are many stores that sell good tortillas. What you want to look for is a thin tortilla.
They can be hard to find. If you can't find a good thin tortilla, all is not lost. It just takes a little more patience.
You can bake these Vegan Taquitos or fry them. If you want a richer taste, I would fry them. If you are looking for a healthier route, definitely consider baking them.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They are rich and comforting.
- They can be eaten as an appetizer, side, or meal.
- They are simple and easy to make.
- Corn tortillas: I used corn tortillas, but there are some delicious grain-free tortillas by Siete that you could use.
- Vegan cream cheese: I like Tofutti brand vegan cream cheese. Use your favorite.
- Vegan cheddar cheese: I like both Follow Your Heart and Daiya vegan cheese brands.
- Green chiles: I used roasted green chiles. You can use another type of pepper, or leave them out.
- Canola oil or spray: If you going to fry the taquitos, I suggest canola oil or another high-heat oil. If you are going to bake them, I suggest oil spray, or you can brush the taquitos with oil.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Warm tortillas to make them pliable. A microwave works fine.
Step 2: Spread vegan cream cheese on tortillas. Add vegan cheddar and green chiles. Roll tightly.
Step 3: For baking: Place seam side down on an oiled parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake on each side until crispy.
For frying: Place enough canola oil in a pan for taquitos to fry in. Heat oil to 350°. If you don't have a thermometer, place a wooden spoon in oil. If the oil bubbles around it, it's ready. You can also place a couple of drops of water in. If they sizzle it's ready.
Fry until golden brown. Place on paper towels to soak up some of the oil.
How to Roll Taquitos
Rolling taquitos is super easy. It's just like rolling a burrito but easier because you aren't tucking in the sides.
Spread filling on the tortilla, and roll it tightly away from you. You don't want to overfill the taquito or it will be harder to stay together.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You can fill taquitos with many different ingredients. For these vegan taquitos, I filled them with vegan cream cheese, vegan cheddar, and roasted green chiles.
If the oil you are frying the taquitos in isn't hot enough, the taquitos will soak up more oil and become soggy and greasy.
Other Mexican-Inspired Recipes
If you tried this Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles
- If baking, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap the tortillas in paper towels and microwave for 1-2 minutes to make the tortillas pliable, if needed.
- Spread vegan cream cheese on tortillas. Add grated vegan cheddar and roasted green chiles, and roll tightly.
- Baking method:Place seam side down on an oiled parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 8-12 minutes on each side, or until crispy. Frying method:Heat canola oil to 350°F. If you don't have a thermometer you can test the oil by dropping a couple of drops of water into oil. If it sizzles, it's ready. Place rolled tortillas seam side down and fry until golden brown. Flip until all sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with vegan sour cream or guacamole.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.