This easy Tofu Nacho Cheese is thick and creamy. Made with silken tofu, spices, salsa, and green chiles, it is loaded with flavor!
This Tofu Nacho Cheese sauce is flavorful and comforting. You would never know it is dairy-free, plant-based, and made with tofu.
It is perfect for Game Day or a party. It is so hearty, that it is practically a meal by itself.
I've even made Pasta with Nacho Cheese Sauce.
- Silken tofu: Adds the creamy texture. I used silken tofu found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy taste. If you leave it out it won't taste as cheesy. You try use store-bought vegan parmesan, although I cannot speak to the results.
- Tapioca flour or cornstarch: When I originally posted this recipe I used cornstarch, but found since then that I am intolerant to corn. You can use either, just note that you'll need twice as much tapioca flour.
- Green chiles: Adds spice. You could leave them out.
- Salsa: I used a medium chunky salsa. Use your favorite or make some homemade Restaurant Style Salsa.
- Turmeric: Adds color. You can leave it out.
- Chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper: Adds spice and nacho flavor. You could also use taco seaosning.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: In a food processor or blender combine silken tofu, nutritional yeast, spices, tapioca flour or cornstarch, and half the green chiles. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Pour mixture into a pan. Cook on medium-high heat until it thickens. Stir constantly so that it doesn't stick to the edges.
Step 3: Add salsa and the rest of the green chiles. Cook for a couple of more minutes.
This vegan nacho cheese sauce will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
❄️ Can I Freeze It?
You can, but it does change the consistency a little bit. It will separate slightly after a day of being thawed in the fridge.
Stir, then reheat it and it comes together. It still tastes just as good.
Other Tofu Cheese Recipes
This vegan cheese sauce is something you can feel good about eating because it is a healthy snack.
I originally posted this recipe on Jan. 21, 2017. I added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Tofu Nacho Cheese Sauce
- In a food processor, mix silken tofu, nutritional yeast, half of the green chiles, turmeric, tapioca flour, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Pour in a pan and cook on medium-high heat until it thickens. Add in salsa and the rest of the green chiles, and cook a couple of minutes longer, until heated through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.