This Spinach and Refried Bean Quesadilla is loaded with flavor, comes together in less than 15 minutes and can be the main dish or appetizer.
This Spinach and Refried Bean Quesadilla could not be any easier. It is a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Serve this vegan quesadilla as an after school snack, appetizer, or main dish. Eat it as is or customize it to your liking!
Sometimes I make a refried bean quesadilla as is without any veggies or vegan cheese. It is such an easy to meal to get on the table fast.
I like to use spicy refried beans because they have all the spices you need and makes cooking a quesadilla even faster. You could add roasted veggies or spinach and onions, like I did here.
I like the combination of spinach and onions because they cook quickly and go well with refried beans and vegan cheddar cheese.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Onions: Add a sweet flavor.
- Olive oil: To cook the quesadilla. If you have a non-stick pan, you may not want to use olive oil.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Spinach: I like spinach for the mild flavor. You could also use kale or your favorite greens or leave it off.
- Refried beans: I used spicy refried beans but you could regular refried beans. You could also use refried black beans.
- Tortillas: I used some local gluten-free tortillas. Use your favorite.
- Vegan cheddar: Adds a sharp cheesy flavor. Use your favorite non-dairy cheese.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
Step 2: Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds.
Step 3: Add spinach and cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper.
Step 4: On a tortilla, spread refried beans to the edges.
Step 5: Layer spinach and onion mixture on top of refried beans.
Step 6: Sprinkle shredded vegan cheddar cheese on top of spinach mixture.
Step 7: Top with the other tortilla.
Step 8: Place filled tortillas in a skillet and cook on medium heat until starting to brown.
Step 9: Flip quesadilla and cook other side.
Step 10: Remove quesadilla from the skillet and slice. Serve with salsa or your favorite condiment.
The individual components of the refried bean quesadillas will last about 5 days in airtight containers in the fridge.
I recommend eating it once assembled. If you want to make it ahead of time or make more than one, I would eat them within a day or two.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Roasted peppers
- Other vegan cheese: nacho, pepper jack
- Kale or other greens
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Chopped tomato
- Spices (if you don't have refried beans with spices): taco seasoning or chili powder or chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, and Mexican oregano
- Jalapeños or other green chiles
- Chipotle pepper
- Salsa Fresca or Restaurant Style Salsa
- Vegan sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
Other Vegan Quesadillas
This refried bean quesadilla is an easy appetizer or weeknight meal.
*I originally posted this recipe November 23, 2014. I changed the recipe slightly, added new photos and text when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Spinach and Refried Bean Quesadilla
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for quesadilla if it's not non-stick (or Coconut oil / other spray)
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tortillas (gluten free if necessary)
- 6 tablespoons spicy refried beans
- ½ cup grated vegan cheddar
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add spinach. Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Spread refried beans on one of the tortillas.
- Layer the onion spinach mixture on top of the refried beans.
- Sprinkle grated vegan cheddar on top of onion spinach mixture.
- Top with the other tortilla.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. If you are not using a non-stick pan, add coconut oil spray or oil. Place quesadilla in pan and fry until golden brown.
- Carefully flip with a large spatula and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Slice and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply