This healthy Jackfruit and Cauliflower Rice Burrito has a spicy crunchy filling. It is a quick and easy meal.
Taco flavored jackfruit and cauliflower rice wrapped in your favorite tortilla, what's not to love? Made with a Lime Crema to balance out the spicy flavors.
If you're eating low carb, you could eat this as a burrito bowl with some lettuce instead of in a tortilla.
If you've never had jackfruit before, it is found in tropical regions of the world. It is commonly used in South and Southeast Asian cooking.
To me, it tastes like artichoke hearts. This is actually only my second time having it. The first time was a seasoned package that I included in some Jackfruit Enchiladas.
This time I used the green jackfruit in brine. I'd have to compare the two products side-by-side, but I think I like this jackfruit better. For one thing, I can control the seasonings, which means a lot less sodium than the packaged stuff.
The great thing about jackfruit is it's similar to tofu in that it takes on the flavors that you add to it. It shreds nicely, which is why you see so many vegan BBQ jackfruit sandwiches.
Now that I've had the green jackfruit I think I'll be using it a lot more in my recipes.
I've included a recipe for Lime Crema, but you could use guacamole or vegan sour cream instead. I definitely think it needs some form of lime juice, whether that be in the form of lime crema, or lime juice added to guacamole, or just squirted on the burrito.
The lime adds brightness, and in the form of crema, it balances out the spice.
For my Lime Crema I added a small amount of maple syrup to balance out the tartness of the the cream. It also helps to give the burritos a little sweet and spicy moment.
Other Vegan Burritos
- Bean and Mexican Cauliflower Rice Burritos
- Smothered Vegan Burritos
- Vegan Refried Bean Burrito with Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus
- Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here's the jackfruit I used for this recipe.
Jackfruit and Cauliflower Rice Burrito
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces green jackfruit in brine shredded
- 2 cups cauliflower rice fresh or frozen
- 1 cup salsa - I used roasted tomato
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed in your hands
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 8 gluten free tortillas - I used spinach amaranth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice - I used key limes
- ½ cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional but recommended)
- Pinch salt
- Lime Crema: Mix all the ingredients.
- Burritos: Add olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped onions and cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add shredded jackfruit, cauliflower rice, salsa, and seasonings. Cook about 10 minutes until the salsa is cooked down and the jackfruit and cauliflower rice is heated through. Serve with Lime Crema.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply