This healthy Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito will jump start your day. Make ahead of time for busy mornings!
Normally I have a smoothie for breakfast, but when I want a hot breakfast I reach for some Tofu Frittata or Tofu Scramble. This Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito takes tofu scramble up a notch.
How to Make a Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Drain and press tofu using a clean towel and a heavy object like a cast iron skillet.
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Add crumbled tofu and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add chopped serrano pepper and red pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add black beans, spices, spinach, and chopped tomato. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve in a tortilla with your favorite condiments. I ate mine with buffalo ranch dressing, which added a nice kick and some fresh herbs.
This healthy Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito will jump start your day. Make ahead of time for busy mornings! Click To Tweet
Other Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Spinach and Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- Soy Chorizo and Tofu Breakfast Tacos
- Mexican Vegan Frittata
- Caramelized Onion Vegan Quiche
- Taste as you go; you may want more or less spices than I've listed.
- If serrano pepper is too spicy for you, you could use a milder jalapeño instead. You could also use less than I've listed or take out the seeds and ribs where most of the spice is.
- Switch up the red pepper with your favorite veggies. Zucchini, corn, or potatoes would go well in this.
- Serve with guacamole, fresh or restaurant style salsa, vegan sour cream, vegan chipotle ranch, or vegan cream cheese.
This vegan burrito is a great way to start your morning! It can be made in no time. It is perfect for breakfast on the go!
This recipe was originally published on May 2, 2015. I've added new photos, more text, and a video.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
- 14 oz. firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper ½ pepper
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 15 oz. can of black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or chopped tomato
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 gluten free tortillas
- Drain and press tofu with a tofu press or put a towel on top of tofu and a heavy object like a cast iron skillet on the towel and let the water drain out for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Crumble the tofu and add to the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add serrano pepper and red pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add black beans, spices, tomatoes and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Place tofu scramble on a tortilla. Fold over sides of tortilla and roll away from you making a tight burrito. If you fill the tortillas with too much mixture, it will be harder to roll.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.