This healthy Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito will jump-start your day. Make ahead of time for busy mornings!
Normally I have a smoothie for breakfast, but when I want a hot breakfast I reach for some Tofu Frittata or Tofu Scramble. This Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito takes tofu scramble up a notch.
Made with Mexican spices and spicy serrano pepper, it is full of flavor. I like to eat it with Buffalo Ranch Dressing to add even more spice.
Meal prep the day before for busy mornings to take on the go.
Another black bean recipe to try is my Vegan Black Bean and Corn Taco Pizza.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Firm tofu: I used firm tofu packed in water found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Extra firm tofu will also work.
- Olive oil: To cook the tofu and veggies in.
- Onion: Adds a sweet pungent flavor. I used a yellow onion, but a white onion, red onion, or green onion will also work.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Serrano pepper: Adds spice. You could also use a jalapeño for less spice.
- Red bell pepper: Adds sweetness. You could also use a yellow bell pepper or green bell pepper.
- Black beans: I like black beans for this recipe, but you could also use pinto beans, lentils, or white beans.
- Cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, turmeric: Adds warm spicy flavors. You could also use taco seasoning.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Cherry tomatoes: For a fresh juicy bite. You could leave them out or use another veggie.
- Spinach: I like spinach for the mild flavor it adds. You could use kale, or other greens.
- Tortillas: I used some local gluten free spinach amaranth tortillas. Use your favorite.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Drain and press the tofu. If you don't have a tofu press you can place the tofu in between a clean towel and place a heavy object like a cast iron skillet on top.
- Sauté onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Add crumbled tofu and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add chopped serrano pepper and red pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add black beans, spices, spinach, and chopped tomato. Cook until the spinach is wilted. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon tofu scramble in a tortilla with your favorite condiments. I ate mine with Buffalo Ranch Sauce, which added a nice kick and some fresh herbs.
- Fold the sides in, then tightly roll the burrito away from you. If you pack it too full, it is harder to roll and won't stay together.
The tofu scramble will last 5 days in an airtight container. If you want to make it ahead of time, you could wrap it in foil and eat within a couple of days.
- Taste as you go; you may want more or less spices than I've listed.
- If serrano pepper is too spicy for you, you could use a milder jalapeño instead. You could also use less than I've listed or take out the seeds and ribs where most of the spice is.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Sliced avocado
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan cream cheese
- Sweet potatoes
- Fresh Salsa or Restaurant Style Salsa
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro
- Vegan Chipotle Ranch or Vegan Chipotle Crema
- Tofu Nacho Cheese Sauce
🥞 Other Vegan Breakfast Recipes
This vegan breakfast burrito recipe is a great way to start your morning! It can be made in no time. It is perfect for breakfast on the go!
Another tofu recipe is my Stuffed Peppers with Tofu Scramble.
This recipe was originally published on May 2, 2015. I've added new photos, more text, and a video.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
- 14 oz. firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper ½ pepper
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 15 oz. can of black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or chopped tomato
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 gluten free tortillas
- Drain and press tofu with a tofu press or put a towel on top of tofu and a heavy object like a cast iron skillet on the towel and let the water drain out for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Crumble the tofu and add to the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add serrano pepper and red pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- Add black beans, spices, tomatoes and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Place tofu scramble on a tortilla. Fold over sides of tortilla and roll away from you making a tight burrito. If you fill the tortillas with too much mixture, it will be harder to roll.
- Serve with vegan sour cream, salsa or guacamole.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.