This rich and creamy Mint Hot Chocolate has just the right amount of mint to add a bright note.
The next best thing to eating dark vegan chocolate is drinking it in my book. This Mint Hot Chocolate is thick and rich with the perfect amount of sweetness.
Peppermint extract adds a bright note. It is the perfect drink for the holidays.
Mint and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly, chips and salsa, tomato soup and vegan grilled cheese, French fries and ketchup - you get the idea.
After being out in the cold, this vegan hot chocolate is the perfect way to warm you up. Add some vodka or tequila for an adult beverage and curl up in front of the fireplace with a warm blanket and some Netflix.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is sweet, rich, and creamy, with a cool refreshing peppermint flavor.
- It is the perfect warm and comforting drink to curl up to for the holidays.
- It's made in minutes with simple ingredients.
- Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks or a chocolate bar.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened almond milk because I like to control the amount of sweetness. You could use sweetened almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Peppermint extract: For the peppermint flavor.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use agave syrup, simple syrup, or your favorite sweetener.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness. I like sea salt.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add almond milk to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add chocolate chips, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, maple syrup, and salt.
Step 2: Stir frequently, and cook until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes frothy.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer, not a boil. That way it doesn't burn.
- You may be wondering why salt is added. It brings out the sweetness and it adds balance to the drink. If you want to see the difference yourself, try it first without, then with. Your taste buds will thank you!
- As always, taste as you go. You may want more maple syrup or chocolate chips than I've included.
- For a creamy frothy whipped coconut cream, use only the thick part of the coconut milk after refrigerating. I use the whole can because the brand I buy gets pretty thick after refrigerating.
- Whipped coconut cream
- Store-bought vegan whipped cream
- Grated chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Mint Leaves
- Pinch of cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Mint hot chocolate is sweet, rich, and creamy with a hint of cool, refreshing peppermint flavor.
☕️ Other Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you tried this Mint Hot Chocolate Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Warm up with this Mint Hot Chocolate this holiday season. Your taste buds will thank you!
Mint Hot Chocolate
- Warm the almond milk in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add chocolate chips, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, maple syrup, and salt and simmer on medium heat for a few minutes until chocolate melts and mixture becomes frothy.
Mint Whipped Cream
- Place coconut milk in the fridge overnight. You can scoop off the coconut cream off the top or use the whole can.* Mix coconut milk and peppermint extract in a blender or Nutribullet.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.