This rich and creamy Mint Hot Chocolate has just the right amount of mint to add a bright note.
The next best thing to eating dark vegan chocolate is drinking it in my book. This Mint Hot Chocolate is thick and rich with the perfect amount of sweetness.
Peppermint extract adds a bright note. It is the perfect drink for the holidays.
Mint and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly, chips and salsa, tomato soup and vegan grilled cheese, French fries and ketchup - you get the idea.
After being out in the cold, this vegan hot chocolate is the perfect way to warm you up. Add some vodka or tequila for an adult beverage and curl up in front of the fireplace with a warm blanket and some Netflix.
Or add it to rolled oats for some Mint Hot Chocolate Overnight Oats.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chocolate chips: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate baking chunks or a chocolate bar.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened almond milk because I like to control the amount of sweetness. You could use sweetened almond milk, soy milk, oat milk or your favorite dairy free milk.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Peppermint extract: For the peppermint flavor.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use agave syrup, simple syrup or your favorite sweetener.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- If using mint coconut whipped cream, place a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Pour almond milk into a saucepan and turn heat on medium.
- Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, maple syrup, and salt. Stirring frequently, cook until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes frothy.
- Scoop the coconut cream from off the top of the can (or use the whole can). Mix in a blender or Nutribullet with peppermint extract. Scoop a dollop on top of mint hot chocolate.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer, not a boil. That way it doesn't burn.
- You may be wondering why salt is added. It brings out the sweetness and it adds balance to the drink. If you want to see the difference yourself, try it first without, then with. Your taste buds will thank you!
- As always, taste as you go. You may want more maple syrup or chocolate chips than I've included.
- For a really creamy frothy whipped coconut cream, use only the thick part of the coconut milk after refrigerating. I use the whole can because the brand I buy gets pretty thick after refrigerating.
- Whipped coconut cream
- Store-bought vegan whipped cream
- Grated chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Mint Leaves
- Pinch of cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
☕️ Other Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipes
Warm up with this Mint Hot Chocolate this season. Your taste buds will thank you!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
Mint Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ - 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pinch salt
Mint Whipped Cream (optional)
- 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Warm the almond milk in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add chocolate chips, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, maple syrup, and salt and simmer on medium heat for a few minutes until chocolate melts and mixture becomes frothy.
- Mint Whipped Cream: Place coconut milk in the fridge overnight. You can scoop off the coconut cream off the top or use the whole can.* Mix coconut milk and peppermint extract in a blender or Nutribullet.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Sandee Protzmann says
AWESOME HOT CHOCOLATE! so glad I found your channel...I have been a vegan for over 30 years and gluten free for the last 7 years. I can't wait to try all of your amazing recipes.... making the marinated tofu tonight:) thanks again
Willow Moon says
Thanks so much Sandee! That makes my day!