This easy Oat Milk Hot Chocolate is sweet, rich, and creamy. Made with melted dark chocolate and dairy-free milk, it is super chocolaty!
I have been enjoying vegan hot chocolate and vegan hot cocoa lately. Some of you may be wondering what the difference is.
Hot Cocoa has cocoa powder, or my personal preference, raw cacao powder. Hot Chocolate has melted chocolate, so it contains all the ingredients of whatever chocolate you are using, like sugar and vanilla.
I personally prefer this Oat Milk Hot Chocolate over hot cocoa, because it is rich and thick from the dark chocolate being melted down, but I will gladly drink either one.
- Dark chocolate: I used dark chocolate for this recipe. When I first posted this recipe I used an 85% dark chocolate bar. When updating it I used dark chocolate baking chunks. You could also use chocolate chips.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use agave syrup, stevia, or your favorite sweetener.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Oat milk: I used unsweetened oat milk because I like to control the amount of sugar. You could use soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Salt: Enhances flavors. Just a pinch of salt makes all the difference in bringing out the sweetness of the hot chocolate.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Pour oat milk into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer on medium heat.
Step 2: Add chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Lower heat to medium-low and whisk to blend ingredients.
Cook at medium-low heat or 5 minutes, or until chocolate is melted and combined.
- Whipped coconut cream
- Store-bought vegan whipped cream
- Grated DIY Vegan Chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Pinch of cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
Curl up with some Oat Milk Hot Chocolate and forget about all your cares!
If you tried this Oat Milk Hot Chocolate Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this vegan hot chocolate recipe on February 22, 2017. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Refrigerate coconut milk overnight. Scoop thick part off the top. Mix coconut milk in a high speed blender or Nutribullet. Refrigerate.
- Bring oat milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in chocolate, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until chocolate is melted and almond milk is frothy.
- Top with whipped coconut milk and grated chocolate.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.