This Asian-inspired Spicy Cucumber Salad is light and refreshing. It makes a great appetizer or side dish.
I love Thai food. I especially love the cucumber salad that is available at some Thai restaurants.
I read recently that the cucumber salad is not a dish typical to Thailand, but then I found a website that is based in Thailand that had a cucumber salad recipe.
Whether it is or isn't traditional Thai cuisine doesn't matter to me. I will continue to eat it.
Have you ever tried cucumber baked or fried? My Fried Cucumber Recipe includes ways to both fry and bake it.
If that's not your cup of tea, how about some Vegan Cucumber Tea Sandwiches?
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is light and refreshing.
- It's made in minutes.
- It goes well with many main dishes.
- Cucumber: I used an English cucumber because it isn't as bitter as other cucumbers, and it has a thin skin.
- Brown rice vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor. You could also use white rice vinegar.
- Mirin: Adds a sweet tangy flavor.
- Lime juice: Adds a tangy flavor.
- Coconut sugar: You could also use granulated sugar or brown sugar.
- Tamari: I used low-sodium gluten-free tamari because I like to control the amount of sodium. You could also use soy sauce.
- Serrano pepper: Adds a spicy flavor. For less spice, leave out the seeds and ribs or use a jalapeño.
- Fresh mint: dds a fresh minty flavor.
- Peanuts: I used roasted and salted peanuts because they add the most flavor.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Slice cucumber on a mandoline to get really thin slices.
Step 2: Mix brown rice vinegar, mirin, lime juice, coconut sugar, and tamari. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
Step 3: Add finely chopped serrano pepper, chopped mint, and dressing to the sliced cucumber. Top with chopped peanuts.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
For this cucumber salad recipe, I added serrano pepper to add spice.
This spicy cucumber salad is made with cucumber, brown rice vinegar, mirin, lime juice, coconut sugar, tamari, serrano pepper, and mint.
Other Vegan Salads
If you tried this Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
This recipe was originally published on July 8, 2015. I've added new photos and more text.
Spicy Cucumber Salad
- On mandoline, set the blade at 1/16" and slice cucumber. Alternatively, you could use a large vegetable peeler.
- Combine brown rice vinegar, mirin, lime juice, coconut palm sugar, and tamari. Set aside. The sugar will dissolve after awhile, but if you are in a hurry, you can put the mixture in the microwave and heat it for 10 seconds.
- Chop serrano and mint, and add to the vinegar mixture. Add sliced cucumber.
- Put in the fridge for at least an hour so ingredients combine. Garnish with chopped peanuts.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.