This Super Creamy Tofu Mac and Cheese is sure to take you to your happy place! It is healthy and satisfying. Made without cashews.
This Super Creamy Tofu Macaroni and Cheese was inspired by my Tofu Nacho Cheese Sauce which tastes great on a Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger or Vegan Machos.
I started with the same ingredients for the base, then added in a few to make it taste more like mac and cheese.
The results are a creamy cheesy pasta that is rich and indulging. It's much healthier than the original, but to make it even healthier you could add your favorite vegetables.
For a spicy version try my Nacho Mac and Cheese.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Pasta: I used elbow pasta, but you could use straight macaroni, penne, rotini or another short pasta. I used brown rice elbow noodles to make it gluten-free. Use your favorite pasta.
- Silken tofu: Adds a creamy texture. You can buy it in the refrigerated section or the shelf stable variety.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You can leave it out but it won't taste very cheesy.
- Mustard powder: Adds a bite and balances the cheesy flavor.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a smoky flavor.
- Turmeric: Adds color and flavor. You can leave it out.
- Corn starch: For thickening the sauce. You could also use potato starch.
- Vegan butter: Adds a rich buttery flavor.
- Salt and black pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Cook noodles per directions, draining noodles 3-4 minutes before done cooking since they will also cook in the sauce. Reserve about ¼ cup pasta water.
Step 2: Mix all the sauce ingredients except the vegan butter in a food processor or high speed blender.
Step 3: Add the vegan cheese sauce to a pan. Add vegan butter and cook on medium heat until the vegan butter melts.
Add pasta and pasta water and stir to combine. Cook on medium heat and simmer until heated through.
This tofu mac and cheese recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove. Add a splash of non-dairy milk or water to wake the pasta back up.
Cooked pasta can dry up so it needs liquid to revive it. You can also add some shredded vegan cheddar or vegan butter if you don't mind processed foods.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Vegetables: broccoli, red bell pepper, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots
- Greens: spinach, kale, collard greens
- Vegan cheddar cheese to add more cheesiness
🍝 Other Vegan Pasta Recipes
This ultra creamy vegan macaroni and cheese is dairy free, nut free, and gluten free. This is the side dish you're going to want on your Thanksgiving menu!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
🧂 You May Need
Here's the brown rice pasta I used to make the vegan macaroni and cheese. I love the taste of it.
Super Creamy Tofu Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces elbow noodles - I used brown rice
- 14 ounces silken tofu
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter - I used Earth Balance
- Salt and pepper
- Cook noodles as per directions, but 3-4 minutes less than cooking time, since you'll be cooking noodles in the sauce later. Drain pasta, reserving a ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients except the vegan butter in food processor.
- Pour the sauce into a pan. Add the vegan butter. Cook on medium heat until the vegan butter melts. Add pasta and pasta water. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
I've never used silken tofu before but found some recently. I wanted to make an easy high protein dinner and this was perfect.
I added a little white miso, a tiny splash lemon juice and ACV, and some Franks Red Hot seasoning!
So yum! Thank you!
Willow Moon says
Thanks Desiree, I'm so glad you liked it! Those sound like great additions!
Roger Nehring says
This was tasty and creamy and very easy.
Willow Moon says
Thanks Roger, I'm glad that you liked it!
My kids LOVE this mac and cheese! I love how healthy it is!
Willow Moon says