This spicy Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger has the flavors of nachos but in a healthy hearty package. This is sure to be a hit!
I've always been a fan of black bean burgers. In fact, they are my go-to when I eat veggie burgers, so I knew it was time to create a black bean burger recipe.
Since I like spicy foods, I added some serrano pepper. I topped my black bean burger with vegan nacho cheese sauce to take it to the next level. This spicy vegan burger tastes like nachos in burger form.This spicy Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger has the flavors of nachos but in a healthy hearty package. This is sure to be a hit! Click To Tweet
How to Make a Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger
Sauté onions until translucent. Next, add garlic, then serrano pepper. Cook for a minute.
Mix with black beans, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, and spices. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Form patties and bake, fry, or grill.
Other Vegan Sandwiches
Tips for Making Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burgers
- If you want less spice, use a jalapeño pepper instead of a serrano, or use half as much. The black bean burgers are actually pretty tame as written, but I do like spicy foods and my taste buds may be different than yours or your kiddos.
- Refrigerate the patties for at least an hour so that you can form patties easier.
- If you fry or grill the vegan burgers, you'll want to flatten them so that they cook evenly. When flattening them they will be wider, so you might want to make them smaller so that they'll fit into a bun.
- Freeze baked burgers and bake or microwave them straight from the freezer. For baking, they only need about 20 minutes at 400°.
- I did not include an amount for the tofu nacho cheese sauce. I used a couple of tablespoons per burger and dipped my burger in salsa. You may want more or less cheese sauce. If you make the whole batch and have extra sauce, use the extra on nachos or cook a small batch of macaroni noodles and make Nacho Mac and Cheese.
- If your kiddos don't like spicy foods, they can top their burgers with vegan sour cream, mild salsa, or ketchup.
Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger Recipe
Why buy store bought veggie burgers when it's so easy to make your own! These are great for freezing and reheating later.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here are the gluten free buns that I used. They are light and fluffy, unlike some dense gluten free buns I've had.
Vegan Black Bean Nacho Burger
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 serrano pepper* (2 tablespoons chopped)
- 15 ounces black beans
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed in your hands
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 4 buns - I used millet chia buns
- Tofu Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Add olive to a hot pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add chopped serrano pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate at least 1 hour so that patties are easier to form.
- Form 4 equal sized patties. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 400°. Flip, then bake another 20-25 minutes or until cooked through*.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.